Suspicious Emails from "Microsoft account team"

A few days ago I received this email:

Unfortunately, I thought that this email seemed relatively innocent. I thought that there was someone who was making an outlook account and accidentally sent a verification email to my gmail account. It didn't seem like a malicious piece of spam like "click here to win Microsoft lottery" or anything like that. So I clicked the "click here." That then took me to another page that still looked exactly like legit and safe Microsoft page that simply said that I would no longer receive emails regarding the account.

All seemed well until I received two more emails a few minutes apart from each other 3 days later.

The Second Email:

The Third Email:

This was when I got really worried. I thought that I would not be receiving any more emails about the account. It also now seemed that the account in question was made with my gmail account and renamed to the same thing but with @outlook instead. Well the thing is, I DO NOT have a Microsoft account linked to this email. This is where I didn't click anything else and sent it to my spam folder. Now I'm here.

Here are my concerns:

-Is there any possibility that these are legit emails due to someone working out their new account?

-Has someone actually created an account using my email?

-If these are phishing attempts what have I compromised by clicking that "click here" in the first two emails?

-I have not voluntarily entered any personal or login information of any kind. Am I still at risk?

-I have changed the passwords of all my important emails and online accounts. Is this enough?

I'm usually very careful with these things but I may have slipped up on this one.

-Thank you for your responses.

[Moved from Virus & Malware]

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand that you want to know about the emails you received.

I will certainly help you with this.

Answers of your query:

1. It may happen that someone in your family using the same email and want to do some changes, that’s why it sending security emails.
2. No one can create the same email address which exist on the email server.
3. You can try to change your email account password and check if that helps.
4. You may need to check with the peoples you know if you shared your email to anyone.
5. If you already change the password, you not need to worry, keep checking your emails to verify that you are not facing this issue again.

Refer the below links and check if it helps:

Submit spam, non-spam, and phishing scam messages to Microsoft for analysis
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200769%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Deal with abuse, phishing, or spam in Outlook.com
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/outlook/abuse-phishing-junk-email

I hope this helps. Please let us know the results. Feel free to write us back for any further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 6, 2023 Views 4,529 Applies to: