Received an email from Microsoft about my account being renamed - is this legit?

I've been having problems all day reaching anyone in support who can help so I hope I can get some help here.  

I received an email today from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** with below

Your Microsoft account has been renamed. We just wanted to check with you that it's okay.
     -  Old account name: *** @gmail.com  (I don't remember ever having a Microsoft account associated with this address) 

-  New account name:  *** @outlook.com (an address I've never heard of but made to look its yours using part of the name)

If this is correct, you don't need to do anything.

If this is incorrect, please follow these steps:
1. Reset your password by going to https://account.live.com/password/Reset 
2. Rename your account by going to https://account.live.com

Thanks,
The Microsoft account team

I didn't click on the above originally but then on the Microsoft site it said this domain name is legit as is account.live so I clicked on it but then got worried a little too late immediately closed it.  

I tried to log into the new outlook address, clicking the forgot password and it gave what looked like my email (as it was hidden) as a secondary address so I clicked it and I got an email where it gave me an option to remove me from the account if received in error.  I didn't enter any codes anywhere.  I have now realized I received a few other emails since 3/31 asking me to verify my email address which I never did.  I did start working on a new computer a week ago and I'm not sure if I've accidentally signed up for something (since I did sign up for the remote desktop server but with another email) but how would it rename my gmail account to a random outlook account I've never heard of?  How can I make sure they are not associated and that whoever has that outlook account doesn't have access to my account or any info?

Every time I receive the link to email in the support page it doesn't provide the email address so I'm at a loss. I don't what to believe or what to do.  The other threads I found with the same issue didn't specify if this was a scam or not and how to handle.  How can I find out if this is actually from Microsoft, who that outlook account is linked to and who best to contact (phone or email) for more immediate help? 

Hi MRANDO1

Thanks for reaching out! My name is Dane and i'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you.

The sender might be hiding their real email address, below is on how to reveal where it really came from, if it does not come from Microsoft then it is a scam email and I suggest you mark them as spam

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/view-i...

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you Dane.  The email was sent to my gmail address, not Outlook, but it referenced an outlook email as the "new renamed email" which is my concern.  That outlook email seems to be valid as I tried it but I want to make sure they do not have access to my gmail.  Who at Microsoft can I reach out to and send the email to in order to verify it's authenticity as I did not set up that outlook account?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you need to talk to a Microsoft agent you can use this chat bot, type "live agent" and it will connect you to a Microsoft agent

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/contactus/

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

mrando1: The same problem happened to me, as seen in my link below.

Did you ever manage to reach an actual human to inform them of the hack? The automated Microsoft agent just had me going around and around in circles, asking me for an email address or some account information, both of which belong to the hacker not me. There was never an option to speak to a human, which is frustrating since clearly the problem presented here isn't something that the Agent can deal with.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/osecurity-oinfosafe/a-hacker-created-an-account-using-one-of-my-email/17b7cb19-d83c-4170-bb4d-1d7c9d7294a8?tm=1589324748758&rtAction=1589394413062

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to be clear, this email probably was legit. I received one as well, and I could tell it was legitimate by looking at the full email headers.

Microsoft seems to have a security hole in their product which allows hackers to create accounts at outlook.com using a 3rd party email address. So far, Microsoft hasn't provided any solution to allow us to prevent this from happening.

That's unfortunate and I hope that Microsoft addresses this soon.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have been receiving emails from Outlook/hotmail all day to my GMAIL, providing me a password reset code. I never requested a password reset, nor did I forget my password. This is the 4th reset code I've received today from Outlook.

Frustrating trying to get a hold of someone from Support team.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2024 Views 4,732 Applies to: