"We cannot send a text message to this number"

I am unable to verify my account because Microsoft insists that a text can't be sent to my iphone (unreal!). Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem yet?
Answer
Answer

Hi, I'm a regular user and I think I figured out how to fix this issue. When trying to verify my suspended Microsoft account I encountered this issue where on my android phone browser and laptop chrome browser Microsoft's only option for recovering was to input my cell phone number and receive a recovery code. I tried 2 different cell phone numbers on each and the recovery page always said "We cannot send a text message to this number."  I contacted Microsoft about this and they had me put in an "Account Recovery Request". Well, my request was rejected due to not enough information. I know that the account belongs to me because I can receive password changing emails when I go to change my password. So, how I fixed this was : 

1. On the page where it was originally asking for your cell phone number. I clicked sign out.

2. After signing out I clicked "sign in"

3. I typed my email address as the user name. I continued to password entry screen, but did not enter my password.

4. I clicked "forgot password"

5. I had it send a password recovery code to my same email.

6. I checked my email for the password recovery code email, but did NOT enter the code on the recovery screen.

7. On the password recovery code email I scrolled down to where it says 

"If you don't recognize the Microsoft account emailname***@whatever.com, you can click here to remove your email address from that account."

8. I Clicked to remove my email address from the account(because it was useless to me the way it was I didn't have anything to lose) and followed the prompts until I got another email that said my email has been removed from the account.

9. After that I tried signing in to my account again.

It let me update my recovery info (because none now existed for my account) and I was able to sign in to my account after adding my phone number on and receiving a code via text(no idea why it worked other than because it wasn't the "your account was suspended page"  I can use my account now tho. It must be because I had to jar the system into accepting new account recovery data.

99 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 27,910 Applies to: