Issue with being locked out of the account.

Hi all, 

I've been locked out of my Windows Live account since I changed the hard drive on my MacBook Pro, as when I tried to log back in for my emails it thought it was a new computer trying to access them (I guess?!). It directed me to recover my account by filling out the questionnaire. I did not have access to any of my most recent emails for example, so I was unable to satisfy it. I tried it a few times, trying to guess what my most recent emails were about etc, but now it seems to have stepped it up a notch and blocked my account.

I have used that email address for work (up till now!) so there is a good chance that I am receiving emails offering me work which I am unable to receive and therefore, potentially loosing work - which is obviously a pretty serious issue.

I got in touch with email support and they directed me here, so hopefully someone out there will know how I can gain access to my account and continue using my emails.

Many thanks for any help,

Ed

You'll have to open a support ticket with the Microsoft Account people. Visit the Windows Live ID Support page and submit the appropriate form.
Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there,

I've tried that (twice now!) and both times I have been re directed to this forum. 

Seems like I'm going in circles so far!

Thanks,

Ed

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been locked out of my Windows Live mail account for a number of days now, since I was initially locked out after changing my MacBook Pro hard drive, with no success getting any closer to unblocking it, having been sent around in circles by different departments through a variety of different recovery links, all of which have been unsuccessful. I think I just need to speak with a human being who has the ability to reset an account - assuming I can provide sufficient evidence that I am who I say I am. 

So far I have done...

Recovery questionnaire (which is impossible to satisfy!), chat, directed to a supprt email, directed to here, directed from here to another submission form, received a reply but when I followed the link in my new Microsoft account (this one, which I had to make solely for trying to recover the other) I was told this account "is not allowed to view this incident", tried logging into my locked account and I've ended up back at square one with the useless questionaire again.

You can imagine my frustration now. Is there anything else I can try? I'm losing hope at recovering this account, but need to remind myself to keep trying as it is one which receives work emails, which being self employed, it is especially a problem if I am not receiving them as it leaves me out of work ultimately!

Any real help would be greatly appreciated - I cannot believe how difficult this whole process has been made!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your second question on the same subject has been merged with the first. Since neither had anything to do with the mail client program Windows Live Mail, your question has been moved to a more appropriate forum

The support staff who deal with problems like this don't operate in these forums. You can't get in touch with them here. Your only route is via the Windows Live ID Support portal.

... when I followed the link in my new Microsoft account (this one, which I had to make solely for trying to recover the other) I was told this account "is not allowed to view this incident"

When you opened your support ticket there were potentially three different email accounts involved: (1) the Microsoft Account that is blocked, (2) the Microsoft Account you signed in with to submit the ticket, and (3) the one you gave as the contact address.

You're using a Mac, yet you've posted twice in the forum for a mail program that will only run on Windows, so I can't guess how you're reading your mail. On a Windows computer, I would have to add http://oas.support.microsoft.com and https://oas.support.microsoft.com to my Internet Trusted sites. I would copy the link in the message received from Support, then launch Internet Explorer in InPrivate mode to avoid any conflict between different sign-ins and paste the link into the address bar. I would then be required to sign in, when I would use the number (2) account.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Noel,

Thanks for that. I don't seem to be having any luck however as I am unable to actually view my response - I have two email addresses; live.co.uk and icloud.com.i made a second Microsoft Account using the icloud.com address to be able to use these forums etc. I have been unable to access the response to my support on either of these accounts - one because I can't login (the original problem), and the other account (icloud.com) is not allowed to view the response. I'm struggling to see what else I can try! Whenever I have been able to email directly, I have been redirected to this forum.

Regarding Windows/Mac, it is only the email address which I use that is a Microsoft product (if that's th correct terminology?), I simply log in to that email address on the Mac mail programme on my iPhone and MacBook and there has never been an issue. I use it because I have had that email address since before I used Mac, although following this incident, assuming I am eventually granted access to my live.co.uk account, I will try and redirect everything to my icloud.com email to keep it simple. As I say, there has never been a problem before, but right now I've found myself having an incredibly difficult time trying to recover my live.co.uk account - starting to lose hope on it but really I need to resolve it one way or another as I at least need to transfer some important emails/re route it for future.

Is there anything else I could try? Is there anyone I can directly email (not using some webpage form - they seem to be making a fuss for some reason with my issue and I always end up having to log in to my blocked account, which obviously lands me back at square one!) who might be able to grant me access in this case?

Many thanks,

Ed

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have two email addresses; live.co.uk and icloud.com

the other account (icloud.com) is not allowed to view the response.

So, with reference to my earlier post, account (1) is @live.co.uk and accounts (2) and (3) are the same @icloud.com account, correct?

You are unable to access https://account.live.com using your @live.co.uk account, right? If you now visit that page and sign in with your @icloud.com address and password, are the date of birth, country/region and time zone entries all accurate? Are they the same as for your @live.co.uk account, as far as you can remember?

When you submitted your support ticket, did you visit

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/id-support

or

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-live/id-support

?

Not every region has access to this support system, so there are checks on whether the user is in the same region as is recorded in his profile when support tickets are opened. Any discrepancy may well result in your not being allowed to view the ticket.

Is there anything else I could try? Is there anyone I can directly email ...

Not to my knowledge, and certainly not for free.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there,

Thanks again for your efforts.

I was about to go on a serious session of copying the links of every exact support page I used, but I started by trying the questionnaire one last time and for some reason, this time it decided it liked my answers!

How frustrating! I'll be sure to set up as many other contact details as I can for future recovery.

Many thanks,

Ed

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 11, 2024 Views 666 Applies to: