I can't access my hotmail account despite following the recovery prompts and advice on support forum.

My account was seen by Hotmail to be 'hacked' as a program I was using called unenroll.me obviously did something Hotmail didn't like. I got an email about someone using my account and unenroll.me being unlinked from my account at the same time. I was concerned about the recovery email being fake and was waiting until I got onto a PC to check the link before pressing. Getting to work this morning, no Hotmail. I've filled out considerable amounts of personal info for recovery but no dice. One issue is that my old recovery email no longer exists and I hadn't updated it. The level of protection around a lowly free email is just insane. I have less dramas recovery bank logins. So, is this email, which most of my logins and accounts are attached to, is just gone? I can't provide anymore information than I already have. What's required here? Sacrifice of small animals to dark gods, or an interpretative dance where I demonstrate my soul essence to the gods of Hotmail? Oh, and particularly love that when I try to contact support, it says to email them THROUGH THE ACCOUNT THAT HAS BEEN BLOCKED! Tech support has always been one of the seven rings of hell, but now the trend seems to have gone to a very special place where you click madly around a site, looking, looking for this elusive support but never being able to contact anyone, not even a bot. I think I have a better chance of finding the Holy Grail than this mythical support thing you're talking about

TLDR: can I have my goddam Hotmail account back please and is there any option to dial back the insane level of security? Right now I'm at the never ever use Hotmail again level of fury except every tech firm seems to be just as ridiculous.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Serena,

Ok - totally frustrating and I feel your pain! Don't shoot me I just want to walk through the process here....

1. go here https://account.live.com/password/reset
2. say you forgot your password

What options appear? Give me a reply I'm here to help.

Thanks,
-Jeff

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Tried that and it sent me through the exact same process. I have now exceeded my attempts and can't try again for 24 hours

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That process is exactly the same as the recovery process for my email, so not sure how its supposed to help. I've apparently failed to provide sufficient information for your bots to approve me accessing my account, so that means no changing password or any other way around. Is this it? Is there any other way for me to prove I'm me?

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, so when you no longer have access to the old recovery email or phone or challenge questions or authenticator app, then the only thing you can do is wait for MS to respond.

When I went through this process I received a reply to my current email address after 2 days. I filled in all I could, but it said they needed to review. They did get back to me, but it was not immediate as I did not have good info.

I hear you its a pain, but think about what people put in their free public email! It's crazy the content out there, so after all of the wikileak hysteria all reputable services put in restrictions like this. Try dealing with Apple and a forgotten apple id - ouch :)

I don't know what the final screen said for you, but the idea is you supply as much info as you believe and then Microsoft will review and get back to you. It could be a day, could be a week but they will respond after they do their due diligence.

Some folks have 30 day lockout, and there really is no way around that wall.

Thanks,
-Jeff

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is that actually whats going to happen? As I got several automatic emails saying the below, which seemed to indicate a blank ban that isn't going to be lifted until I can get past the automated step:

We recently received a request to recover your Microsoft account (email adress here). Unfortunately, our automated system has determined that the information you provided was not sufficient for us to validate your account ownership.  Microsoft takes the security and privacy of our customers very seriously, and our commitment to protecting your personal information requires that we take the utmost care in ensuring that you are the account owner. 

We have taken the additional step of blocking your account until we can verify you as the account owner. This will prevent any further use of the account, and protect you from any possible malicious activity.

Please submit a new account verification form

At this point, your best option is to submit a new form with as much accurate information as you can gather. The more information you can include in the form, the better the chance you’ll have of regaining access to your account. We’ve included a few tips below to help you fill out the form as completely as possible. 

> Submit a new form

Helpful tips for filling out another form:

• Answer as many questions as you can.
  • Use the information you provided when you created the account, or last updated it.
  • Submit the form from a computer you frequently use.
  • You will be asked to list recently used email addresses and the subject lines from recent emails. Ask for help from family members, friends, or business contacts to confirm their email addresses and tell you the subject lines of the last three emails they sent you.
  • Make sure to use the correct domain for your account, such as hotmail.com, live.com, or outlook.com. Keep in mind that your email address may be country specific. For example, if you created your account in Sweden, your domain would be “hotmail.co.se” rather than “hotmail.com”.

Ready?

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

From what I can tell I can't access the account, my details given aren't sufficient, that isn't going to change because that's all I've got, there's no way to ask for a review because I can't contact anyone from support directly and everything is stalling at the 'resubmit form' stage = indefinitely.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Serena,

I believe so, it happened this way for me when I switched back to Microsoft from Apple a few years ago.

Do you know anyone who has an email from you from that address? I know the subject line, email it was sent to, time, would help a lot.

Thanks,
-Jeff

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok - I can reroute this to the Microsoft Community, I do not have any way to actually access anything that would be of help. Are you good with this option?

you can come back here if it does not help, but I'm afraid with no access to the systems that can make a difference for you I've hit the dead end.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did that and that was not enough. I know they were right because I checked the emails before I added the details. I don't actually send a lot of emails from this account and most are to the account I'm trying to use as a recovery one, so is probably bouncing this for this reason. I'm in a closed loop system right now with no means to do anything about it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What does that entail? Is there seriously no way to contact someone from the provider to say "Hey, I've got an issue?"

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2024 Views 16,991 Applies to: