My mom lost access to her outlook.com email account

Hi,

My mom lost access to her outlook.com email account. She has to change her password. We’ve tried several times and the account recovery process is impossible to complete. My mom only sends emails to her church and if she has ever sent other emails she can’t remember. In addition to the email names, the recovery process also wants the subject of the emails.

We’ve also tried the virtual help tool which is useless for such cases and anywhere I find a link to email support only brings me to a sign-in page.  Logging in under another account and using these same links just opens my inbox, no email is instigated, no contact address is given.  This is incredibly frustrating and it is practically decimation against old people and people with memory problems. I need a resolution as she cannot lose access to the information going to that account. I can’t believe the only other option is to create a brand new account. I need a resolution or a method of contact.

Have you heard of people with this issue? It is the wrest ever. Do you know a way to contact Microsoft?

Hello Ironhelm,

We appreciate you reaching out to us again here in Microsoft Community.

We do understand how important it is for your mother to regain access to her account and we want to get to the bottom of this as much as you do, so let’s work on this together. 

Noted that you’re tried regaining access to your mother’s account with the help of the account recovery form, we would like to find alternatives for you and it will be helpful if you can provide us the below information:

1.       Have you and your mother tried to access the account using a trusted device?

2.       Can you still access the security information that is linked to your account? This is the alternative email address or phone number that is linked to the account?

3.       What is the error message you’re getting when accessing the account through this link?

We’re looking forward to your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

1. Yes we have tried

2. We use my email

3. There is no error message. we can't get past the recovery process, which is the whole problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for getting back to us.

We understand that it is important for you to access your account in the soonest time. We also have personal accounts so we definitely know where you are coming from.  

Since you mentioned that you use your email as your mother’s account security information, may we clarify if you were able to receive a verification code when changing your mother’s password?

The recovery form is meant to be the second recourse for users who are locked out from their account.

In filling it out, please take note that the more information you can include in the form, the better the chance you’ll have of regaining access to your account. Please answer as many questions as you can as thoroughly as possible. If you’re not sure, guessing is ok as wrong answers won’t count against you. For tips on how to fill out the recovery form, you may check this article.

If you would like me to provide additional advice, simply respond to this thread. I will get notified and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We use my email ********************@msn'com as my mother’s account security information.

She can't receive a verification code because her password doesn't work.  She can't fill out the recovery form because she's can't provide enough information to pass the requirements. She fails every time. I can't believe Microsoft treats old people like this who can't pass the recovery requirements. She can't lose her email account. This is horrible and not fair that her only option is to create an account. shame on Microsoft for making it so hard to recover her email account. There must be some kind of exception for old people and people with memory problems. This sucks!!!!!   

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The same happen to me. This suck. I had two weeks trying and nothing. Bad service from this company. None direct tech support, none phone number, nothing. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the detailed information. Microsoft doesn’t have a way to manually reset the password for the customers, resetting of password needed to go through the account verification process. This is a precaution that is established to prevent unauthorized access to your account.

It seems that you still have access to your account’s security info since you mentioned that the security information is your email address. Let’s try to reset your password by following these steps:

1. Access your account through this  link and click Next.
  2.  Your security info will be prompted under the We need to verify your identity page.
  3. Choose how to you want to get the code and click Next
  4. Type the last 4-digit number of your phone number or your alternative email address, and click Get Code
  5. Enter the code and click Next
  6. You’ll now have the option to reset your password. 

The above-mentioned steps aren’t available and it directly routed you to the account recovery page, then there’s no security information added to the said account. The recovery form is meant to be the second recourse for users who are locked out from their account.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post back to Microsoft Community.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello EduardoBonilla2,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Let's work together to resolve your concern. 

To assist you accordingly, can you please provide us the following information:

1. Can you please tell us more about your concern?     
  2. Have you tried accessing your account using a trusted device?
  3. When was the last time you were able to access your account?
  4. Can you still access the security information that is linked to your account? This is the alternative email address or phone number that is linked to the account?
  5. What is the error message you’re getting when accessing the account through this link?

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My mother is having the same problem. Her entire account just disappeared from her phone and her computer. What could she possible have done to cause this? I have also tried to recover it for her using all the steps listed and as she does not have access to her recovery email sent my email, but with no response. 

Thank you, 
Marcy 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2024 Views 289 Applies to: