Change the e - mail from @live.com to @outlook.com

Respected Sir , I have a E- Mail Address *** Email address is removed for privacy *** Can you change it to *** Email address is removed for privacy *** without changing anything my login, Microsoft Account …. All My mails get in an out of the same account all my mails come to the same account which is in current existence. only @live.com Changes to @outlook.com
Hi vikrammurthy,

Thank you for participating in the Microsoft Community. My name is Sid, a Microsoft user like you and an Independent Advisor. I'll be glad to help you with your concern.

@live.com, @hotmail.com, @outlook.com and @msn.com are Microsoft emails and they're called domains.

To answer your question, it's not possible to change your existing Microsoft account which is currently @live.com to @outlook.com without changing anything from the existing one. You can use @outlook.com domain but it's gonna be a completely different Microsoft account then.

A possible workaround to this is by adding your @outlook.com account as a connected account to your @live.com. To do this, you can login to outlook.live.com. Click on the gear icon then click on View all Outlook settings. Go to Mail then Sync Mail and Connected accounts.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Sid

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank You Sid.

If that is so I will have to stick to my @live.com account only, because I have paid for my One Drive and office 365 Subscription for a Year.

If I try a change all my Payment and download and my Microsoft Acccount will go for a toss.

I will have to keep it same. 

Now why I needed to change from @live  to @outlook.com, as when we give the e-mail address @live.com no one knows.... 

it from a Microsoft Server Account as Microsoft has Marketed Outlook in a big way. In Public Registration form ….. @gmail is accepted on a larger preferred mail id than @live..... so as Outlook has a more Product Value, I preferred to have a account with @outlook.com, which is accepted in Banks, Govt Instituition,as a stroung e-mail ID Server. 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi vikrammurthy,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

If your OneDrive and Office 365 subscription are associated with the @live.com account, it's then a great idea to stay with it to have peace of mind :)

I agree with you about the @live.com compare to @outlook.com account. Well, @live.com was an older domain of Microsoft emails before the server was migrated to the new outlook.com server. So, when the migration to the new server has been completed, @outlook.com emails are now the one being offered when creating new email accounts. Nevertheless, @live.com is still a Microsoft email.

Good luck and cheers :)

Regards,

Sid

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The addresses that you posted are hidden for privacy, so your username @outlook.com may not be available.

Add a new @outlook.com address to your @live.com account.

The new address can be used to log into all Microsoft services.

It will not replace the @live.com address where the @live.com address is listed as the contact address.  You will have to change the contact address in every place where it is used.

After you add the new address, wait 24 hours before making it the primary alias and the default From address.

Do not remove the @live.com address.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/add-or-remove-an-email-alias-in-outlook-com-459b1989-356d-40fa-a689-8f285b13f1f2?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Respected Sir,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Very Thankful to you. 

Yes. I agree with you for Peace of Mind I will Stick to @live.com but it was, Microsoft who had to migrate us all who were before from Hotmail then we got this @live..... if they shifted to outlook they should have shifted us all to one server extension as Gmail..... having so many domains is not appropriate according to me. Public take undue advantage by Registering different domain to illegal website, which there after start getting into unnecessary, illegal  activites.

One Name and Surname should have only one e-mail Id of that particular Server or of that Company at large. It will help in future illegal Registrations.

Since there is no control. Open Public just blindly Create E- mail Account which they don't operate at all. These are used for unwanted registration.   

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As Ron mentioned, you can certainly add an Outlook.com alias to your account and set it as primary address. 

Do not delete the live address from your account!  You can log in using either the live address or the outlook.com address and can send mail from either address, with all mail delivered to the same inbox.  

Diane Poremsky [M365 Apps & Services MVP]
My specialty is Outlook and Microsoft 365 issues.
https://www.slipstick.com
https://www.outlook-tips.net
Mark Yes below if it helped or resolved your issue.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Cannot find my e-mail account!!!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What happens when you try to log in? 

When did you last use the account?  If you don't log in at least once a year, the account is inactive and purged, its deleted after 2 years. 

Microsoft account activity policy:

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?linkid=2086738 

Diane Poremsky [M365 Apps & Services MVP]
My specialty is Outlook and Microsoft 365 issues.
https://www.slipstick.com
https://www.outlook-tips.net
Mark Yes below if it helped or resolved your issue.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2024 Views 8,904 Applies to: