Cannot log in: You've entered the wrong password too many times

Original Title: Hi i need help unblocking my freinds account.

Hi my freind has been locked out his account and has all his personal and social stuff going to that email.  His email address is (Remove by Moderator) and when he tries to log in it gives a message saying he has entered the wrong password too many times. He need into his account.Please help him.

Thanks from 
Adrian and Hugo.

Hi adrian quintus,

Welcome to Microsoft Community!

I understand that your friend in unable to access his emails due to multiple attempts of logging in to the account using the wrong password. As I have checked on the account, I found out that it isn't blocked on our database and verified that everything is working fine on our end. To resolve the issue, kindly reset the password following any of the steps below:

Self-help:

1. In the Sign-in page, click on Can't access your account?.
  2. Choose either I forgot my password or I know my password and Microsoft account, but can't sign in.
  3. Enter your Microsoft account and type in the characters you see in the picture then click 'Next'.
  4. You will be provided with different options to validate your account.
  • Email a reset link (if available) will let you have a password reset link sent to your alternate email address.
  • Secret Question (if available) allows you to reset your password immediately after you've provided your Secret Answer.
  • Send a code to my phone (if available) will give the option to send a text or call you for a verification code to your mobile phone. After you enter the code, follow the instructions that prompt until the change was successful.

SMS validation:
Please log-on to 
https://sms.live.com with the affected account to get a single-use code via text messaging on a mobile device to verify your account.

Account recovery:
If you cannot log in using that email address, you may need to submit an account recovery request form to regain access it. Kindly follow these steps: 

1. Go to this link: https://account.live.com/pw.
  2. Enter your Microsoft account that you're trying to recover and then type the characters you'll see in the pictures.
  3. Hit Next.
  4. Click I can’t use any of these options.
  5. Enter the Microsoft account you are trying to get back into
  6. Enter a working alternate email address to where we can contact you.
  7. Click Next.
  8. Fill-out the form as accurate as you can and click Submit.

Make sure to use your regular computer and reach out to your contacts and ask them for their contact details so you can have a better chance of passing account recovery. The Microsoft Hotmail Account Recovery Support team will validate the information you will provide against the current details listed on our records. Make sure to provide an active alternate email address so that you can receive the code or reset password link once they determine that you are the account owner.

In addition, you can refer to this article below to know more on how you can resolve the issue:

Outlook.com: Forgotten password or other sign-in problems

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you need additional assistance.

Thank you,

Alix Xedjhidee

49 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Alix;

I would like to piggy back on this question as mine involves the same quote when I sign in.

For the last 4 days, each time I have signed in I have been blocked and had the same quote appear the first time I put in a password.

Each time I have reset my password, signed in again and all was well for that session.  

I am worried, though.  Is someone trying to hack my account and just keeps trying different passwords?

How can I make sure my account is safe?  I read the "Forgotten password or other sign-in problems" article above but I have already done all these things.

If there is no solid way to make sure no one is actually trying to break in, is there a way for me to move my folders to an new account or something so I don't loose all my stored data?

Thanks in advance.

Gary Adkison (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***)

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gary,

Welcome to Microsoft community forum.

I understand that your account has been frequently blocked and that you want to move your folders to a new account or to back-up your files to make sure that you won't lose any of your files. Let me help you with this.

It is possible that our system detects unusual activity from your account and blocked it to prevent any violations. Follow the steps provided in article "My Outlook.com account has been hacked" to help protect your account from hacker/hijackers.

If you want to move your files to another account to failsafe your stored data, you can use TrueSwitch. TrueSwitch is a web-based service that you can use to transfer your stored e-mail messages, contacts, and calendar from another e-mail account to your Hotmail/Outlook.com account without having to manually reenter the information. To move emails using TrueSwitch, please click here.

You can also try to back-up messages from your account directly to your computer by using a mail client program like Windows Live Mail. When you synchronize your account through an e-mail client program, you have the option to save copies of your e-mails or completely download all the messages from your account to your hard drive. To download the latest version of this e-mail client, please visit: Windows Live Mail.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Cherry

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Cherry;

Thanks much.  It looks like you have pointed me to some viable options for securing my informaiton and I am very happy about that.

Let me see if I'm on track.

To use the TrueSwitch I need to make another email account on Outlook/hotmail and then transfer everything to that account.

To use the mail client I need to "synchronize" my account?  Don't know what that is but sounds like if I do it I will have a chance to select an option to save stuff to disk.

I'm gona try the TrueSwitch for sure.  Don't know about the other one yet.

Thanks much for your time.

Gary

PS, still would be good to know if I can keep my old address some way.  Seems like I have had to put in a hunderd places and don't remember where half of them are.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gary,

To answer your inquiry, moderator Cherry Anne M must have been referring to adding your email account in Windows Live Mail.

If you have already downloaded and installed the said program, you have to add/configure your account on the said application. To do this, please refer to this article.

With regard to backing up your email information, please follow the instructions provided in the article I posted below:

How do I import and export email, contacts, and calendars with Windows Live Mail

If you have any questions and clarifications, please let us know.

Thank you.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi im sorry but that hasent worked at all for my freind. There must be some issue at your side because he cannot reset his password and he cannot awnser his security question either because we get the error you have awnsered the question incorrect too many times. He cannot gain access either to his other email account linked to his email account need help asap please.....

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi adrian quintus,

For security reason, please inform your friend to create a private forum where we handle this matter for best and faster assistance. For more information about it, you may refer her/him to the thread I posted below:

How can I get rid of Account Blocked and other errors in Hotmail?

I have locked this thread as well.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2024 Views 125,720 Applies to: