Unable to access Hotmail in Google Chrome unless Incognito

The only way I can access Hotmail in Google Chrome is in incognito mode because the chrome web browser add-on "safe search from Norton" is not enabled. 

I am not a novice user. I have the latest version of Chrome, Outlook, Silverlight, Nortons, etc. 
Have made no changes whatsoever to my computer, other then uninstalling and reinstalling a corrupt version of iTunes in the correct order incurring no problems doing that. 
Hey been troubleshooting this for over a week. It is implying there's something wrong with Microsoft certificate but I know there isn't. Out of the blue outlook stopped working. I have cleared cookies cache, history, run ccleaner, ran Ad-Aware, rebooted and done all the normal procedures. Continuously. I log into Hotmail and I see everything all my emails for one splits second. Then the screen goes totally white except for some  blue at the top, my selected color of Hotmail.  When I log into incognito mode it works fine, however my wine mailing list that I send out every month no longer allows the recipients to see the pictures.  When I go in to Internet Explorer works just fine.  So the logical conclusion is that the Nortons add-on/plug-in that has always been there for years and years found something on the Hotmail page it does not like, and will not allow to show.  I do not want to run in incognito mode, and I do not want to use Internet Explorer. What changes have you made to Hotmail that Norton safe web does not like?  There's something about the code on the Hotmail page that it doesn't like and will not display. 

I just resolved the very same problem with Hotmail only, which first presented to me a couple of days ago.  I also had no issue with Internet Explorer.  The issue is with the Norton Identity Protection extension being enabled in Google Chrome.  When this extension was enabled, I could not access Hotmail, but I could access it if I disabled this extension.  You can call Norton directly, as I just did, and they can make the fix while taking control of your computer.  Essentially, Norton support first removed the Norton Identity Protection extension from Google Chrome, then located the extension in the appropriate folder on my hard drive, and then copied this extension directly into Google Chrome.  Norton Support did say that Google Chrome recently updated during February from v.32 to v.33, and may now have this issue.  Norton is now also looking into updating as regards this issue.  Good luck!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you so much. I really am thankful for your reply. I will call Symantec and try that.  I've had Norton's for years and they have remoted in to my computer before. I appreciate your insight and your help

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My outlook is frozen it wont do anything unless I am incognito. I do not want to run in that. Becky

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Becky,

Are you still having the same issue? If so, can you confirm if this is only happening when using Google Chrome? Were you able to access other websites using the said browser? Apart from the resolutions given above, have you checked if clearing its cache, cookies, and history helps?

Keep us posted.

❀ ℳitch ❀

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 10, 2023 Views 2,922 Applies to: