Two-Step Verification Problem: Browser "Forgets" That I Have Done This All Before...

Hello, and greetings from Sydney, Australia!

Before I start describing my problem, here are the relevant details of my system software configuration:

Hardware:

Standard Desktop PC, Intel processor, AMD graphics, 4GB RAM, no hardware problems, and all device drivers fully updated. (Further details unnecessary, as this is a problem with software only, not with hardware).

Software:

OS Updates Installed:
Important: ALL
Recommended: MOST (except those that failed, which, after lots of wasted time in research, turned out to be unnecessary, anyway, so now, they are hidden).
Optional: ONLY A FEW (most are unnecessary and are hidden, e.g., all language packs other than US or UK or AU English).
Web Browsers:
Microsoft Internet Explorer v11.0.9600.17959 (x64)
Mozilla Firefox v40.0.3 (x86)
Google Chrome v44.0.2.2403.157 m (64-bit)

Problem Description:

Some time ago, I set up "Two-Step Verification" on my outlook.com account.

I have the "Microsoft Account" app on my Android phone, which is NEVER out of my possession, and I use that to approve the signin request.

Before I tap "Approve," I make sure that the checkbox next to "I sign in frequently <...> here." is checked, as I live alone, I am the only user of my computer, and I am the only person who has physical access to it.

I use three different web browsers: Internet Explorer 11, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

Here is a step-by-step description of my sign-in procedure, along with what happens every time I want to sign in.

1. Browse to outlook.com "Sign In" page.
2. Enter user name. (Email or Phone number - I use email).
3. Enter password.
4. Check "I sign in frequently on this device. Don't ask me to approve requests here."
5. Tap "Approve" on mobile device.
6. Check Inbox, then sign out.
7. Repeat Steps 1 - 3.  I am again presented with request for security code.
8. Repeat Steps 4 & 5...

Every time I try to sign into my Microsoft account, (regardless of whether I'm trying to sign into Outlook Mail or general account profile management or Microsoft Community or Microsoft Support), the same thing happens, over and over again, regardless of browser used.

Every time I attempt to sign in, I have to repeat the Two-Step Verification, even though I have previously checked the "I sign in frequently..." checkbox.

Because all three web browsers exhibit the same behaviour, I am inclined to think that the two-step verification is not working properly at the Microsoft end, rather than it being a browser problem.

However, whilst I do admit that it is possible that there could be some aspect of Two-Step Verification that I have configured incorrectly, I cannot see what that incorrectly-configured aspect might be, and anyway, I never had this problem until recently:  in the past, I have always checked the "I sign in frequently..." box, and have never had to approve any further requests unless I had performed any (or all) of the following procedures, with any (or all) of my three browsers:

1. Cleared all browser cookies
2. Uninstalled and reinstalled the browser
3. Reset the browser defaults

Moreover, if I performed any (or all) of these procedures on any single browser, it affected only the browser in question; it did not affect the other two browsers.

I seems to me that something is preventing my account login at Outlook.com from setting a cookie that tells each of my browsers that I am already verified in that browser, and that no further verification is necessary.  (I have actually specified that the cookie should be set, by checking the box provided).  Considering that Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome are totally different browsers, built on completely different codebases, I seriously doubt that this is a browser problem.

Also, I should mention that all my browsers are configured to accept all cookies, and not to delete them on exit, (which is default behaviour on every browser I have ever used).

Furthermore, I also should mention that I have other accounts configured with Two-Step Verification, (2FA, or Two Factor Authentication), e.g., Google, Facebook and Twitter, and I only ever have to go through the 2FA procedure once, provided that I make sure that the appropriate box is checked on the respective signin page; subsequent logins to any of those accounts do not generate further requests for security codes, unless I have performed any (or all) of the browser procedures mentioned above.

I hope that my description of this problem is sufficiently clear and detailed for any readers of this post, and that someone might be able to point me to some account setting that I may have overlooked.  Far be it from me to suggest that my problem might be Microsoft's fault; I am quite open to the possibility that I may well have misconfigured something in my account.

Thanks in advance for any help that any of you might be inclined to give me.

Best regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, Australia)

Hi,

Please log on to the answers website to check the private message that I have sent you and provide us the details in the private message itself.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, when, after about 14 days, I saw no reply to my original post, I thought that maybe nobody knows the answer, so I cancelled two-step verification.

I can set it up again and test it to see what happens, and report back to let you know the result.

Thanks and regards to all
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, Australia)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I'm having exactly the same behavior as it is described above; but in my case I'm using Windows 10 (1511) and the Microsoft account used to log in the system is not the same Outlook.com account.

Every time I try to log into my Outlook.com account I check the checkbox "I sign in frequently on this device. Don't ask me for a code", but it ask me the security check every time...

Can you please help me? It's really frustrating having all this trouble to set a thrust PC...

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Marc

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't bother asking them, mate; I'm still waiting for a reply to the PM I sent with all the requested details 10 days ago.

Just turn two-step verification off, and you'll have no further problems.

Christopher Souter
(Sydney, Australia)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't think turn it off it's the answer, I will live with the double authentication for the time being, hope that they will fix the issue.

It's simply amazing how Microsoft can't do it right, knowing that Google, Facebook, Synology (and basically all other platforms that offers the double authentication feature) and all others do it...

It should be really complicated to develop ;)

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, yes, you're quite right, but what annoys me most is that there is no real tech support.

When I first experienced the problem, I tried everything I could think of to try to fix it myself, even going as far as uninstalling and re-installing ALL my browsers, even Internet Explorer, but nothing worked, not even a full, clean Windows re-installation!

Then, when I finally posted in this forum, it took many days before I had any reply, by which time, (thinking that there was no interest in this problem, or that nobody else has experienced it), I had already given up waiting for tech support and had disabled two-step authentication.

After receiving the long-awaited reply, I re-enabled two-step authentication (two-factor authentication, or 2FA), performed the required problem-recording steps and forwarded the results, (this was required to be done via Private Message, or PM), but I have had no further reply.

I am absolutely certain that there is no problem with any of my browsers, and that the problem is at Microsoft's end.  Furthermore, I have other Microsoft accounts, but they are not affected by this problem: only this account (which I am currently using to post this message), is affected.

So, I've given up and I've disabled 2FA, and I won't re-enable it unless or until Microsoft fixes it.

Christopher Souter
(Sydney, Australia)

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, yes, you're quite right, but what annoys me most is that there is no real tech support.

When I first experienced the problem, I tried everything I could think of to try to fix it myself, even going as far as uninstalling and re-installing ALL my browsers, even Internet Explorer, but nothing worked, not even a full, clean Windows re-installation!

Then, when I finally posted in this forum, it took many days before I had any reply, by which time, (thinking that there was no interest in this problem, or that nobody else has experienced it), I had already given up waiting for tech support and had disabled two-step authentication.

After receiving the long-awaited reply, I re-enabled two-step authentication (two-factor authentication, or 2FA), performed the required problem-recording steps and forwarded the results, (this was required to be done via Private Message, or PM), but I have had no further reply.

I am absolutely certain that there is no problem with any of my browsers, and that the problem is at Microsoft's end.  Furthermore, I have other Microsoft accounts, but they are not affected by this problem: only this account (which I am currently using to post this message), is affected.

So, I've given up and I've disabled 2FA, and I won't re-enable it unless or until Microsoft fixes it.

Facebook has the same problem. I give up.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2024 Views 7,573 Applies to: