Receiving unsolicited one-time usage code

Hi All,

I've been receiving a lot of 'one-time usage code request for your microsoft account' e-mails from the genuine microsoft e-mail address (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

As I know that this e-mail address has been leaked in various hacks (linked-in etc), I always see quite a lot of unsuccessful syncs in my recent activity page. 

I have 2FA enabled on my account and a difficult password, so I thought I was pretty safe.

However, I've never received this type of e-mail to the same address it was requested for.

I therefore have a few questions:

- Does this mean a malicious user knows my password, but can't go further because of the 2FA and therefore the code is sent out to bypass 2FA?

- Is this one-time usage code a way of accessing an account if you know neither of the password and 2FA? If not, then what is this one-time usage code?

- Is this code sent out when someone already has full access to my account (2FA + password) and then tries to change something?

Many thanks in advance

Answer
Answer
Greetings,

Thank you for providing those information, upon checking they are still on the process of requesting for for a code to by pass the two steps verification,
I am glad that you turn it on the two steps verification to secure your account. and changing now your password.

Have a nice day ahead and be safe, Please let me know if you have further questions.
I'll be more than happy to help.

To know more how you can secure your account

5 ways to help protect your Microsoft account
Create a strong password. Strong passwords use a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numerals, punctuation marks, and symbols. The longer the better, and don’t use personal information (such as a pet’s name, nickname, or driver’s license number) that can be easily guessed.

Protect your password. Don’t use the same password you use on other sites, and remember to change your Microsoft account password (as well as other passwords) regularly. Watch out for email social engineering scams designed to trick you into turning over your password to a cybercriminal.

Enable two-step verification. Two-step verification uses two ways to verify your identity whenever you sign in to your Microsoft account. Two-step verification is optional, but we recommend that you use it. Learn how to turn it on.

Make sure the security information associated with your account is current. If the alternate email address or phone number you’ve given us changes, update the settings of your account so that we can contact you if there’s a problem.

Watch out for phishing scams. If you receive an email message about the security of your Microsoft account, it could be a phishing scam. Don’t click links in any messages unless you trust or check with the sender.

Have a wonderful day ahead and stay safe.

Warm Regards,
Rhaine C.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Greetings,

My name is Rhaine, I'm Independent Community Volunteer. I’m so glad assisting you today.
I am also a Microsoft user and I can feel the urgency in securing your account.

If you are receiving emails requesting for Microsoft account password reset code, this means that someone else is try to reset your account.

It's a good good that you setup a two steps verification so that you will get notified if someone else is trying to reset your account.
They cannot reset that without your permission. They don't have the password yet of your account that is why they requested for a password reset code for them to reset it.

To make sure you can change the password of your account if you want.

Here are some information on how you can secure more your Microsoft account

To check the sign activity
https://account.microsoft.com/security/

Remove the devices connected to the account
https://account.microsoft.com/devices/

5 Ways to secure your Microsoft account

https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2014/05...

I hope the information above helps. Have a nice day ahead and be safe.

With Warm Regards
Rhaine C.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 20,372 Applies to: