Outlook error 0x80070002 when adding Data Files

Hello,

Just got a brand new computer and purchased Microsoft Office. I setup my email with the exchange just fine, but now I am wanting to also add in my archived PST files. When I go and click ADD under Data Files, I get error code 0x80070002. I have tried to adjust the registry and that did not work. I have also used the online repair tool. Any other ideas? I archive a lot of emails that I need to search regularly, so hoping this is an easy fix. The only thing I have really done since getting this computer is disable OneDrive. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hello Hunter_627,

Good day!

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are happy to help you.

1. What is the type of account? Is it a POP, IMAP, Exchange account?

2. Are you running hybrid environment?

The information below is important to find the cause of your issue

In the meantime, note that based on your error you have shared this happen for two reasons:

• Corrupt Windows file structure

• Inaccessibility of the directory where Outlook wants to create PST file (error occurs if the path to save the PST is inaccessible/broken or the PST file is corrupt)

For the Inaccessibility of the directory where Outlook wants to create PST file

The reason is that the default directory for Outlook to create or load PST files does not exist, the default path folder is deleted, or the user directory has been migrated, and the deleted directory can be restored, C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Outlook File\archive1.pst

Or follow the steps below:

1. Go to Windows Documents folder and create a new folder there called forOutlookPST. Ensure that you can create files in this folder and create a test file to verify that it is accessible and writable.

2. Once the folder is created, note down its complete path by clicking on the Windows Explorer address bar

3. Now open the Windows Run dialog, type regedit and hit Enter

4. This will open Windows Registry. Browse to the path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\

5. Open the folder corresponding to the Outlook version you are using. Here’s some help: Outlook 2007 = \12\ Outlook 2010 = \14\ Outlook 2013 = \15\ Outlook 2016 = \16\

6. Now the path should look something like: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office<yourOfficeVersion>\Outlook

7. Highlight Outlook in the left pane by single clicking on it

8. Now right click in an empty area in the right pane and click on New ->String Value

9. When prompted, give it the name ForcePSTPath and hit Enter

10. Now you’ll be able to find this new value in the right pane. Right click on it and select Modify.

11. Under “Value data” enter the complete location for the PST file you noted/created earlier.

12. Click OK and then close the Registry editor window.

Now try again

For Outlook is a corrupt PST file. Repairing a corrupt PST file can fix the error. You can use Outlook the link below for the steps:

If the issue still persist it can be Corrupt Windows file structure from your window, please let me know i will guide you to reach window teams

Appreciate your patience and understanding and thank you for your time and cooperation.

Sincerely,

Eben Ezer Tres | Microsoft Community Moderator

* Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 2,614 Applies to: