Outlook Encrypted Emails issues

One of our external partners uses Microsoft encryption for emails.

He's been communicating with our internal partners for some time without issue.

Last week, our folks started getting an error when REPLYING to his emails, "Microsoft Outlook was not able to create a message with restricted permission."

They can send him new emails, but not respond to his - if they're using the Desktop version of Outlook.

If they're using OWA, they can respond without issue.

The emails he sends to them are decrypted and appear in their Outlook.

The email he just sent to me does not appear decrypted. Instead, I have a link to open the message, and the link takes me directly to OWA.

I've tried creating a new profile in Outlook for them, but the error persists.

I *think* I somehow need to "clear" their information rights management setting... but not sure. Any ideas?

|
Answer
Answer

Hi all,

As of June 11, 2024, there are now two known issues for labels and encryption to be aware of copied below. The reason the issues started in Version 2402 is that is the build Office switched from the old MSIPC to the new MIP SDK for labels and encryption. If you experience either of these issues you can now set a registry key to switch back to MSIPC rather than reverting. The registry key is in the second article below. If you set the reg key please add a reminder on your calendar for a couple months out to check back to when the Known Issue is fixed and remove the reg key. There is a lot of investment in the new MIP SDK and its best to be on the latest supported functionality.

Error replying to encrypted emails from Outlook Desktop - Microsoft Support

Outlook Desktop is unable to apply labels with encryption - Microsoft Support

--- Old Notes from May 15, 2024---

If you want to test and confirm it's the same issue the bug says the issue does not occur in Version 2401. I pulled the version from the Update History page, Update history for Microsoft 365 Apps (listed by date) - Office release notes. These steps are for Current Channel. If you are on MEC or other let me know and I will get the appropriate build. To revert Current Channel to Version 2401 do the following:

1. Open a Command Prompt window (right click, Run as Administrator)

2. Type/paste the two commands below and press Enter after each

cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.17231.20236

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hello Kae Carrol,

You are welcome! revert Current Channel to Version 2401 should be the best option if you want to use the classic outlook since the issue occur with your current version.

further assistance, we will be happy to assist you further. 

Thank you for your time and cooperation. 

Sincerely 

Eben | Community Moderator 

* Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 11, 2024 Views 439 Applies to: