My email keeps sending mail to random people

Dunno if this is just a bug, but I've heard scammers do this to clog your email so that you don't see a sus transaction being made. This started yesterday night and has been happening since. Probably more about a thousand mail like this already.

* Merged

My email is constantly sending mail to random people by itself. This is clogging up my inbox and worst of all it makes me unable to send legit mail by me because now the system thinks I'm a spammer. I truly worry about the security of my account.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

I'm so sorry you are facing issues! I'm Maggie, an Independent Advisor from the user community. I love helping other users in the Community by sharing my experience with Microsoft products.

To better understand may I ask :

- Do you see emails on your sent items that you don't recognize?

- What is the email address of the sender of the emails in the image pict(I see the display name is Microsoft Outlook)? Could you please send it with spaces between the words and the "@" and "."

I wish you a great day/night :)!
Maggie

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's still happening, 400+ more as I slept.

The email sending these items: microsoftexchange329e71ec88ae4615bbc36ab6ce41109e @ cuny620 . onmicrosoft . com

Then in my sent items box: I think my email is the one sending them.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My email is constantly sending mail to random people by itself. This is clogging up my inbox and worst of all it makes me unable to send legit mail by me because now the system thinks I'm a spammer. I truly worry about the security of my account.

-

If these messages aren't in your Sent folder, they aren't being sent from your account. Spammers are putting your address in the From field. They probably won't use your address for more than a day or two.

Are you really unable to send mail? What message are you getting?

Don

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have posted my question in another forum: 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/osecurity-osafe/my-email-keeps-sending-mail-to-random-people/ffd516d6-038c-4b07-9098-c90d17659a89?tm=1570253235194

"It's still happening, 400+ more as I slept.

The email sending these items: microsoftexchange329e71ec88ae4615bbc36ab6ce41109e @ cuny620 . onmicrosoft . com

Then in my sent items box: I think my email is the one sending them.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Afterwards, I received this email and I called them up to get help on my issue. The person said that there are 3 log ins on my account other than my own in the United States. The two hackers are in Afghanistan and China she said. Then, she told me that to prove I am the real owner of this account and for her to provide me with absolute ownership of it, I would need to buy a google play card and deposit $150 or something like that. That was a red sign for me and I asked why I would need to even do something like that, she only reassures me that they would send the money back and if I don't feel comfortable then I should just hang up. 99.9% sure I was talking to a scammer because what legitimate support would ask you to do that and so easily give up on you and your problem if you didn't do something like deposit $150.

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough or something, but it's really hard to find microsoft support, I tried on their website and the message I got was to contact an admin. I have no idea how to do that.

Please Help.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Afterwards, I received this email and I called them up to get help on my issue. The person said that there are 3 log ins on my account other than my own in the United States. The two hackers are in Afghanistan and China she said. Then, she told me that to prove I am the real owner of this account and for her to provide me with absolute ownership of it, I would need to buy a google play card and deposit $150 or something like that. That was a red sign for me and I asked why I would need to even do something like that, she only reassures me that they would send the money back and if I don't feel comfortable then I should just hang up. 99.9% sure I was talking to a scammer because what legitimate support would ask you to do that and so easily give up on you and your problem if you didn't do something like deposit $150.

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough or something, but it's really hard to find microsoft support, I tried on their website and the message I got was to contact an admin. I have no idea how to do that.

Please Help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please Help.

-

No. Do not deal with those people. They're scammers who posted spam to this thread.

Don

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

From the information you shared, the sender of the email is not microsoft.

You are correct, that was a scammer, they are probably just sending those emails trying to get some user to call them and give them a credit card.

I would suggest blocking that sender.

These pages below include relevant recommendations from Microsoft regarding the safety of your Microsoft and Outlook account:
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12410/...
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12428/...
- https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/help-p...
- https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/advanc...

Thank you
Margarida

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 23, 2024 Views 7,882 Applies to: