Mac Outlook Office 365 Search not working after using Migration Assistant: 2013 MBA (Catalina) to 2019 MBP (Catalina)

I used Migration Assistant to move my user profile from my old Macbook Air (2013) to a new Macbook Pro (2020).  Both systems are running the most recent version of Catalina (10.15.6).  After the move, Outlook only returns "No results".  I can find the results using Spotlight directly (CMD-Space or clicking on the magnifying lens in the taskbar).

I have followed the instructions here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250502461

and here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/mac-outlook-2016-search-returns-no-results-after/1accb0e2-56eb-4293-acb9-238051644428

Things that I have tried:

• Removed Outlook.sqllite file from "~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles/Main Profile/Data" to force an auto rebuild.
  • Checked mdimport -L to make sure that we didn't have 2 instances of Outlook (mdimport listed only 1)
  • Rebuilt Spotlight index using System Preferences/Spotlight/Privacy - dragging the Outlook Profile folder into it, then deleting it and waiting for it to index again.
  • Since this is Catalina, the "mdimport -g" solution doesn't work (not supported)
  • Since this is Catalina, the Outlook Search Repair tool is not supported (will there be a version that does?)
  • Uninstall and reinstall outlook twice deleting all Microsoft related ~/Library files according to instructions here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/uninstall-office-for-mac-eefa1199-5b58-43af-8a3d-b73dc1a8cae3?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us

I was hopeful that the uninstall/reinstall would fix things as it did for Mac314159 in his posts, but I still get No Results found.  I have tried mdls on email files for both the MBA and the MBP.  Everything looks the same on both systems, with the exception that the MBA lists the kMDItemKind as "olk15_message" and the MBP has "OLK15MESSAGE File".  Both have the kMDItemContentType as "com.microsoft.outlook15.message".

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should try next?  I am at the extent of my Google abilities to further solve this and it is an immensely frustrating problem to not be able to search emails.

I may try creating a new user account next and starting completely fresh, but that seems to be a bit too far.

UPDATE: I deleted and re-installed Office365 apps and then I created a new user account. In the new user account, I have the exact same problem.  I can see the mail messages if I search in spotlight, but they do not show up in Outlook at all.  All I get is "No results".

Answer
Answer

Hi Polly,

I worked on this with Outlook support.  They had me run the following commands in terminal inside of my Outlook Profile folder:

find . -type f -exec touch {} +

find . -type f -exec touch {} \;

I'm not sure whether it was running those commands, or re-running the commands that you requested, or just waiting a long enough time, but search started working.  My hunch is that I have a 40+GB inbox and that it just took a long time for search results to be indexed to a point that Outlook could get results.  However, the lack of ability to monitor the process and to know when it is complete is frustrating.  Especially since I could run searches in the command line and through the Spotlight interface and see results almost immediately.

One other item of note is that for part of last week I switched to the new Outlook UI that is available through the Microsoft Insider program.  The new Outlook UI looks good, and the search worked as soon as I started it up giving me hope that the search issues with Mac Outlook will finally be resolved once that UI is released.  I have switched back to the released version for now since I use this account for work and need a stable release, but I thought that I would pass that info along.

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2024 Views 7,438 Applies to: