Mac Outlook 2016 Search returns "No Results" after migration from 2016 Macbook Pro running High Sierra to new 2019 Macbook Pro running macOS Mojave 10.14.5

Mac Outlook 2016 (version 16.16.12) search returns "No Results" on new 2019 Macbook Pro (13") running macOS Mojave 10.14.5.

Used Apple Migration Assistant to migrate data from old 2016 Macbook Pro (in Target Disk mode) to new 2019 Macbook Pro as part of start-up.

Things that I have tried:

• Removed Outlook.sqllite file from "~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles/Main Profile/Data" to force an auto rebuild.
  • Created a new Profile using the Outlook Profile Manager and set it to be the default. Opened Outlook and added email accounts (imap) and waited for all emails to be processed and for indexing to be completed. 
  • Clicked on an email folder in Outlook and used the "Rebuild" menu choice to reload the emails for just a particular folder. Waited for indexing to complete. 
  • Checked mdimport -L to make sure that we didn't have 2 instances of Outlook mdimport listed (only 1)
  • Rebuilt Spotlight index using System Preferences/Spotlight/Privacy - dragging the Outlook Profile folder into it, then deleting it and waiting for it to index again.
  • Since this is Mojave, the "mdimport -g" solution that many have proposed doesn't work (not supported)
  • Since this is Mojave, the Outlook Search Repair tool is not supported (will there be a version that does?)
  • Microsoft says that this issue is "FIXED" in Mojave 10.14.5 for both Outlook for Mac 2016 and 2019 (it's not): https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/search-doesn-t-work-in-outlook-for-mac-after-macos-upgrade-b73de6f1-aeb9-4720-bbbe-de65ab50012e - is it possible that this has been fixed only for Outlook for Mac 2019 and not 2016?

Curiously, if I search using Spotlight directly, I'll see emails (olk15_message type) show up in the search results.  But you can't see any of these in Outlook's Search window results.  It's as if Outlook 2016 can't find or access the Spotlight index in Mojave.

On my old Macbook Pro, I was using the latest version of High Sierra (10.13.6) and the same version of Mac Outlook 2016 and there were no issues.

Thanks in advance and hope this helps anyone who is doing a fresh install onto a new Apple Macbook Pro (once it gets resolved). 

Answer
Answer

Update: While I wasn't able to find a more surgical solution to this problem, Microsoft Outlook Support suggested that I uninstall/reinstall Mac Office 2016.  I was more than a little reluctant to go this route because it involved removing folders from ~/Library which always makes me nervous (if you've done this with another application only to find that your Mac won't boot the next time, you know what I mean).

After reinstalling Outlook (be sure to follow the directions to save folders that contain your mailbox data in case you need it), Search in Outlook started to work!  Since my mailboxes are imap (vs. pop), I just let Outlook rebuild all of the mailboxes on my Mac (which took another 6 hours).

So I'm left thinking that this issue has something to do with how Migration Assistant (in Mojave) handles the transfer of files from a High Sierra computer running Mac Office 2016 to a new one running Mojave.

If you are having trouble with Outlook 2016 for Mac search on Mojave, here's what to do to see if you have this problem and whether uninstalling/reinstalling Office 2016 for Mac might help you:

1. If you click on the magnifying glass icon in the top right (Spotlight), and type some text from an email that you can see in Outlook, does Spotlight find the email message?

2. Open the Terminal application and type the following:

mdfind -count "kMDItemKind" == "olk15_message"

You should see "0" returned. The "mdfind" command is searching the Spotlight index for all items that have the type "olk15_message" which is an Outlook email file.

Now type:

mdfind -count "kMDItemKind" == "Document"

After a short wait, you will see the number of items that have the type "Document". Depending on how many files you have, this can be a decently large number.  More than likely, your email messages have the "Document" attribute for kMDItemKind instead of "olk15_message". You can verify this using the steps in an earlier post that use the command "mdls"

3. At this point, I uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2016 for Mac

4. Open Outlook and recreate your email accounts. If you have imap, Outlook will just rebuild your emails from your email server.  

Hope this helps people who just bought a new Mac (running Mojave) that used Migration Assistant to upgrade from a Mac (running High Sierra) (via Target Disk mode - not sure this matters, but just in case). 

I ended up spending countless hours over what should have been a more pleasant experience.  Hope this saves you some time!

Extra credit:

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 22, 2023 Views 3,915 Applies to: