"I sign in frequently on this device. Don't ask me for a code." doesn't work Windows 7

Every time I reboot my PC and go to Hotmail (or any Microsoft partner account) I am challenged with the two-step authorization process.  I've clicked "Remember Me" for the login screen.  I've clicked "I sign in frequently on this device. Don't ask me for a code." every time I validate my code through my phone.  I just created the two-step process a few days ago and it seems to work fine on my iPhone and my XBoxes.  But for some reason, the MS accounts keep forgetting that this PC is trusted.  Though Outlook 2013 seems to remember me just fine.  Since MS no longer shows you if a device is trusted, I have no way of knowing if it registered properly. 

Any suggestions?

Hi,

Greetings!  Thank you for coming to Outlook.com Community Forum today.  I am Froilan and I’m here to help you with your issue about logging in with your account on a trusted computer.

With regard to your concern, we will continue to support you in our secured, 1:1 private forum.  This is because the issue often require us to gather personal information about your account.  Please click on the link below:

Create a support case using our new secure online form

Please select the error you need help with and fill out the requested details.  Note that you’ll need to be signed in with a Microsoft account to access the above form.

After you've completed and submitted the form, a moderator will contact you; he/she will assist you through a secured, private forum.

I hope this information is helpful.  Have a pleasant day!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have this issue, with Firefox 36 and IE 11 (on Windows 7).  I'm asked for the verification code - but only if I close and then re-start the browser.  If I sign out of live.com and then sign in again whilst still in the same browser session then I don't need to enter the verification code (just the username and password).

My browsers are set to clear all cookies (and cache) when the browser is closed. (Security best practice.)

This leads me to suspect that the "this is a trusted device" mechanism is implemented (partially) using cookies.  Which would be plain ridiculous(!)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Used secure report form; Captcha had to be entered 2X. Does anything Microsoft builds work as described??

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Also doesn't work Window 10 November Update Pro X64 and Chrome browser.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I should add: using the Android Microsoft account app for two factor.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community.

To understand the issue better, please answer the questions below:

1. What Is the exact issue that you are facing ?
  2. Are you referring to two step verification when you say "two factor"?

Please get back to us with the answers for the above asked questions in order to assist you accordingly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Exact Issue:

When I use any of the Microsoft sites that require authentication, e.g., Office.com, I get challenged for password, then get the screen about sending request to the Android Microsoft Account for second factor authentication (two step, if you prefer, but the common name is two factor authentication). That screen has a checkbox that says "I sign in frequently on this device. Don't ask me to approve requests here." I check that box. Then I approve the request on the Microsoft account app on my mobile device. And proceed to do what I came to the Microsoft site for.

Next time on the same computer I use any of the Microsoft sites that require authentication, e.g., Office.com, I get challenged for password, then get the screen about sending request to the Android Microsoft Account for second factor authentication (two step, if you prefer, but the common name is two factor authentication). That screen has a checkbox that says "I sign in frequently on this device. Don't ask me to approve requests here." I check that box. Then I approve the request on the Microsoft account app on my mobile device. And proceed to do what I came to the Microsoft site for.

Next time on the same computer I use any of the Microsoft sites that require authentication, e.g., Office.com, I get challenged for password, then get the screen about sending request to the Android Microsoft Account for second factor authentication (two step, if you prefer, but the common name is two factor authentication). That screen has a checkbox that says "I sign in frequently on this device. Don't ask me to approve requests here." I check that box. Then I approve the request on the Microsoft account app on my mobile device. And proceed to do what I came to the Microsoft site for.

(Repeat ad nauseum. See how annoying that is?)

See the pattern? I keep checking the box that says "Don't ask me to approve requests here." But it keeps asking anyway.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

I suggest you to refer the article by Ramesh .Kumar replied on November26,2014 which discusses the similar issue.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/i-sign-in-frequently-on-this-device-dont-ask-me/06c74c4e-11e3-4b6a-b2d0-c1141870a1d0

Please get back to us with the updated status, we will be happy to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 20, 2023 Views 4,913 Applies to: