Account has potentially been hacked and a Trojan uploaded

Today I received emails from myself in both of my hotmail accounts. They read as below:

Hello!

My nickname in darknet is valdemar61.
I hacked this mailbox more than six months ago, 
through it I infected your operating system with a virus (trojan) created by me and have been monitoring you for a long time.

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Even if you changed the password after that - it does not matter, my virus intercepted all the caching data on your computer
and automatically saved access for me.

I have access to all your accounts, social networks, email, browsing history.
Accordingly, I have the data of all your contacts, files from your computer, photos and videos.

I was most struck by the intimate content sites that you occasionally visit.
You have a very wild imagination, I tell you!

During your pastime and entertainment there, I took screenshot through the camera of your device, synchronizing with what you are watching.
Oh my god! You are so funny and excited!

I think that you do not want all your contacts to get these files, right?
If you are of the same opinion, then I think that $879 is quite a fair price to destroy the dirt I created.

Send the above amount on my BTC wallet (bitcoin): 1NXNt72qfMhPZDffUEqryCYpEUzyR6LmgH
As soon as the above amount is received, I guarantee that the data will be deleted, I do not need it.

Otherwise, these files and history of visiting sites will get all your contacts from your device.
Also, I'll send to everyone your contact access to your email and access logs, I have carefully saved it!

Since reading this letter you have 48 hours!
After your reading this message, I'll receive an automatic notification that you have seen the letter.

I hope I taught you a good lesson.
Do not be so nonchalant, please visit only to proven resources, and don't enter your passwords anywhere!
Good luck!

In both cases, the darknet nickname was different but all other details were the same. The scary thing is that the email appears to have come from my own email account. And the password they mentioned is one of my passwords, though it has never been used for both hotmail accounts at the same time. And hasn't been used for either hotmail account within the past 12 months

What is the advice on this matter?

Appreciate any kind of advice on this matter

I have the exact same problem, the format of the email was exactly the same except for the person's "ID". The scary part is that the password that they gave me was one of my password from a very long time ago. I have never entered my email or password on any weird sites, so seeing this email really did give me the chills. 

Have you checked your recent activity? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the exact same problem is this a real hacker and what is outlook going to do about this?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Today I received emails from myself in both of my hotmail accounts. They read as below:

[snip]

In both cases, the darknet nickname was different but all other details were the same. The scary thing is that the email appears to have come from my own email account. And the password they mentioned is one of my passwords, though it has never been used for both hotmail accounts at the same time. And hasn't been used for either hotmail account within the past 12 months

What is the advice on this matter?

This is a scam/phishing attempt. It was not sent from your account. Your address was placed in the From field.

Others have reported that an old password or a password that was almost correct was included in the message. This was probably harvested through a security breach at some website or other at some time in the past.

The email is not genuine. Don't reply  to it, delete it.

Don

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I received the same email today.... whats the advice?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There should be nothing you need to do, provided you do not follow any links in the message. As has been said already, it's a scam. If the message contains a password you used to use, the only danger is if you used that address and password on another service and have not changed it since. The accounts on those other services are in danger of compromise. For any service where you used the address and password the scam displays, go change them now. Everywhere you can, enable two-factor authentication.
Brian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I have read about this, asked some friends about this and apparently this is a common scam sweeping the internet. Basically in one of the many major data leaks, passwords and email addresses were released and it is these old passwords which the scam artists are using.

One way to check if your data has been released in a leak is to go to haveibeenpwned.com and check your email address. And if you are curious about the bitcoin address and whether or not it is associated with a scam, you can check out bitcoinwhoswho.com

Thanks for all the answers ladies and gents. This scam really had my heart in my mouth. Major relief when I discovered it was just another scam, though it was a bit more sophisticated than the Nigerian bank manager ones.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 24, 2024 Views 998 Applies to: