When teams is running on both phone and PC app, my status only updates based on the phone and as it's running in the background, I am always away for hours throughout the day, how do I resolve this?

When teams is running on both my phone and the PC app, it seems that the status is only updating based on the status of the phone, and if the app is running in the background, I am stuck as away. I have done everything I can of:

• Closing the phone app

• Restarting my phone

• Restarting my computer

• Signing out of my phone

• Signing out of my computer

• Uninstalling teams from my phone **

• Reinstalling teams on my phone

• Disable background app refresh

• Enable/Disable location for Teams

• Manually set Teams as available (would go to away after a few minutes)

• Reset Status (doesn't do anything but default to whatever state the phone is in)

**With this, I found that I was then perpetually put as away no matter what happened on the PC. On my computer, I can set myself as available but it would immediately reject and force the away.

I don't understand when/why this randomly started occuring, but it is very debilitiating. I work remotely and cannot have my teams showing as away for the entire day as if i'm away from my computer when I'm actually not.

To add further context, it seems as if my phone is now the primary Teams.

If I accept a call on my phone, only then would it show that I am red and in a call.

However, If I am in a meeting/in a call on my PC, I would still show as away if my Teams app is in the background or closed.

Please, how do I default the Teams to recognize the status of the Teams application as the primary?

This is very frustrating to every few minutes open the teams app on my phone for the status to change.

The only workaround I suppose was that the Teams on the Web version would override the away and set me as Available.
Except no. It simply moves the primary from my phone, to the Web version. All of the issues continue, it's just controlled by the website instead of the phone.

Please assist with what I need to do to resolve this issue, no more workarounds please.

|

Hello StaticWolf,

Good day! Thank you for posting in the community. 

We have received your query and you can expect to receive a response from one of our community moderators accordingly. 

At this point, we appreciate your patience and cooperation. Thank you. 

Sincerely
Md Shamim Ahmed | Microsoft Community Moderator

-----------------------Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

ello StaticWolf,

Thank you for your patience!

I'm sorry to know that you're experiencing this issue with Microsoft Teams.

To better understand the issue, I attempted to replicate the same issue in our test environment. Using the Teams application on my Android device and the Teams Desktop Application (Version: 24060.3103.2805.2099) with the same work or school account, I encountered no problems. Even when my mobile device closed or the application ran in the background, my desktop application status remained "Available".

Based on your description, it appears that you've put in quite a bit of effort troubleshooting your mobile device already. To explore the issue further, could you please collaborate with me by providing the following information? This will help us narrow down to a potential solution.

1. Could you please specify which type of device you're currently using? Is it an Android or iOS device?

2. Have you observed any changes in the behavior of your Teams Desktop application after uninstalling the Teams application from your mobile device? Did it still automatically switch from 'Available' to 'Away'?

3. Which device are you currently using: a Windows device or a Mac?

4. Have you checked if there are any pending updates for the new Teams version? Version update history for Teams app deployments - Office release notes | Microsoft Learn. Please share the version of your Teams application.

5. Have you attempted clearing the cache for Microsoft Teams? (Clear Teams cache - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn)?

6. Have you attempted uninstalling and then reinstalling the Teams desktop application? Please inform me of your experience.

7. Have you attempted to create a customized status and maintain it? If so, did it still switch to 'Away' after a few times?

Looking forward to your response. I will continue to assist you based on the information you provide. Your understanding and cooperation are highly appreciated.

Sincerely
Md Shamim Ahmed | Microsoft Community Moderator

-----------------------Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Md Shamim Ahmed,

1. The device is iOS iphone 15 Plus running version 17.4.1

2. After uninstalling the Teams application from my mobile device, I was stuck on Away. If I modified the status to Available, it'll immediately go Away, modified it to Available once more and it would stick... for about 5 minutes before resetting back to Away.

3. The devices i'm using are Windows pcs.

4. No pending Teams updates, it'll be fully updated.

5. I've attempted clearing the cache and tried again now but still no dice. The status is still wholeheartedly dependent on the mobile device.

6. Yes, i've attempted the uninstall and reinstall 3 times and it has caused no difference.

7. When I set a status message, I am still seen as away.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2024 Views 56 Applies to: