***EDIT: It was a bug which is fixed!*** Teams free is actually only free for 4 months. I feel a bit betrayed. Or did I get wrong information?

Hi all,

I started to use "Teams free" for our small company (13 users) in January, assuming, that it is actually free without time limit, as stated on this microsoft product page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-teams/free. I also add some screen shots that led me to that assumption.

Nevertheless, I got an email stating, that my test version (Microsoft Teams free) will be deactivated. I was able to extend the test version for another 30 days, but it will expire then. There doesn't seem to be a way around it, unless spending money.

According to a Support Engineer (with whom I had a couple of conversations within a related support case) confirmed, that the information on the linked site above is outdated and that the product "Teams free" is currently only available as test version, so will only be working for a limited time.

Now I call this false advertising:

The info given on the official Microsoft site linked above made me think, I could get the service for free without pre-defined time limit. Now I would need to spend money to continue using the service. 

I would like to know: Am I mistaken? Was there an obvious hint this product (Teams free) is only a test version expiring after 4 months? Is there (to the contrary of the support engineer's info) a way to continue to use Teams free with the environment (organisation, Teams, channels, uploaded files etc.) we created? Or at least is it possible to create a fresh environment, that is for free without time limitation (so not just a test version), as the linked site states?

EDIT: The behaviour described above was due to a bug, that is supposedly fixed by now and completely rolled in week 19. Thank you, Sam!

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have also received an email stating my trial is ending/expiring for Microsoft Teams (Free). I didn't sign up for a trial, I signed up for Teams Free (no commitment) based on the website's information. I think Microsoft need to address this as it does smack of false advertising.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Hi there - this indeed doesn't sound correct. It sounds like you signed up for the Teams Exploratory Trial instead of Freemium model which indeed, would expire after a few months. Can you please confirm if you see the 'Upgrade' button under your photo in the top right? If you don't then this confirms my belief that this was incidentally created as a normal tenant under a trial/exploratory license. 

Thanks,

Sam

Sam Cosby | Teams Engineering PM

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sam,

When I sign in to Teams using the Web Client and click on my profile picture I see Microsoft Teams free and the other menu items with a big red Upgrade button as below. Clicking the Upgrade button takes me to teams/upgrade page which suggests that my current plan is Microsoft Teams (free)

Also the emailed link to "buy now" has a URL of 

https://azure.microsoft.com/email/?destination=https%3A%2F%2Fadmin.microsoft.com%2FAdminPortal%2FHome%3Fref%3Dsubscriptions&p=<my subscriptionID> and on entering my account says that my domain "isn't in our system. Make sure you typed it correctly."

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for sharing, Timon. In this case, you're for sure using Freemium so you shouldn't be told that you have any license expiring unless it's somehow for a different tenant or some sort of bug that we're alerting. Is the email that you received associated with the same account? Feel free to take a screenshot and DM me if you'd like, as this sounds like a problem that shouldn't be happening if this is truly alerting Freemium tenants as well. 

One thing to note is you could also validate your 'subscriptions' on that tenant via: https://portal.azure.com/#blade/Microsoft_AAD_IAM/ActiveDirectoryMenuBlade/Licenses -> 'All products'. From here, you should see 'Microsoft Teams (free)' and only this for that particular account. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. I used that link and saw this. I saw there was another admin@<myorg>.onmicrosoft.com account  in the list of licenced users. I logged in to that account to see if that was any different but it had the exact same product Microsoft Teams (free). The email address for the admin account is the same as the first account I signed in with.

I'm unsure how to send a DM on these forums.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Using that same admin@<myorg>.onmicrosoft login I found that under https://admin.microsoft.com/AdminPortal/Home#/subscriptions in the Your Products page it has Microsoft Teams (free) Trial with an expiration date. See below

Does this mean I somehow have a trial to the Freemium subscription? That doesn't make sense to me...

At the very least this is all confusing having it present differently in different areas Azure vs Admin Portal. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, Sam, for taking the time to reply and digging into this. It is really frustrating. It seems there is a change in the registration process, so Timon, I and apparently a couple of others ended up with the trial for a supposedly free product (how logical is that?). I can confirm, that I also have the upgrade button and the expiration date in my admin center. See also on top it says "free".

I talked already to a handful of Microsoft support staff and no one until today seems to take the issue seriously, they all seem to assume Microsoft can't make mistakes and the free version of Teams is supposed to expire, despite the fact the product page (and you and some others in the forums) tell differently.

See also here: 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msteams/forum/all/microsoft-teams-free-trial-ending/7f9a7873-a1f0-4400-830b-f56ba74c366f

and here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/office-365/teams-trial-license-expiring/m-p/1348681/highlight/true#M28114

Maybe you can try to set up a new Teams free to check if you are able to get a proper one, I would bet you also end up with a 3 month trial?

Cheers!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Timon, you can extent the Expiration date by 30 days from that admin center (the link "Extent end date" in your screen shot). But you will need to enter a payment method. We did that and so far they didn't charge any money ;).

But maybe eventually Microsoft hears us and will grant us the product they promised...? I am about to lose hope in that respect, though. I still have motivation to fight for it... but for how long..... :D

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi folks - I can confirm that we've validated this is indeed a bug. The freemium offer recently changed to be a 90 day offer with a 60 day grace period + another 30 days in a disabled state before we deactivate the tenant. As long as you sign in within either the grace period or the 30 days after that where it's disabled, we will extend the offer for another 90 days and you shouldn't notice any interruptions. The emails started going out too soon and we've fixed this now. We'll take a look and see if we can make some improvements here for future developments.

Please let us know if you continue to see any oddities! I'm always on the lookout. :)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sam, thank you for following up on this and digging out the bug.

Just so I understand: You are saying, that we will get a 90 days extension. So the product "Microsoft Teams free" is not available (anymore) without time limitation as promoted on this website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-teams/free ?
So statements like "That’s right, free."; Q: "Is Microsoft Teams really free?" A: "Yes! [...]"; Q: "Will my account expire?" A: "No your account will not expire." Are outdated/false claims/misleading advertisement?

Or do I miss the essential info about the expiration somewhere on the linked product page?

cheers

Ingo

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated January 3, 2024 Views 1,065 Applies to: