Spellchecker in new Teams is not working

I have my Teams language set to English (United States), have enabled spell check in Teams, and restarted (force quit) Teams, yet spellcheck is not working for me at all in the new Teams.

I know on January 17, 2023, Microsoft included the following spellcheck issues in their list of known issues with Teams:

• On Windows, spell checking is limited to English (United States) dictionaries. Until this feature is fixed, users can disable spell checking from the settings page.

• Some spell checker suggestions for English can be inaccurate. A Windows fix is pending, with an estimated rollout date of January. Users can choose to disable spell checking from the settings page until then.

However, the issue seems to be broader than that, as I'm not just getting inaccurate suggestions, I'm not getting any suggestions at all. It is not underlining incorrect words, and it is not providing any suggestions.

I typed a message into a Teams chat with simple mistakes, then waited 15 seconds in case maybe there's a delay in spellcheck, but nothing gets highlighted as incorrect. (screenshot below)

My Teams version info:
You have Microsoft Teams version 23335.232.2637.4844(preview).

You've got the latest version. It was last updated on 1/23/2024.

The client version is 49/24010419113.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Dear Katy Grosjean,

Good day! Thank you for reaching out to the Microsoft Community. We appreciate your inquiry, and we are dedicated to assisting you promptly. Our team is actively reviewing your situation, and we will provide you with an update on the thread accordingly.

Your patience and understanding are valued, and we sincerely thank you for your time and cooperation.

Sincerely,

Libeamlak | Microsoft Community Moderator

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

27 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Katy Grosjean,

I apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing with the spellchecker in Microsoft Teams.

As you mentioned, there are known issues with spellchecking in Teams, and it seems that the issue you are facing may be related to these known issues.

the spell check feature in the new version of Microsoft Teams is a known issue and other users have also reported about the feature not working well in the new Teams version. As stated in the article in the link below "Some spell checker suggestions for English can be inaccurate. A Windows fix is pending, with an estimated rollout date of January. Users can choose to disable spell checking from the settings page until then." Reference: Known issues in the new Microsoft Teams desktop client - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn

The fix status for this issue is 80 percent for moment, so we apologize once again to handle until the new update for this known issue.

However, i have test from my end and am not facing the issue so i would like to double check the issue with some troubleshooting to confirm if you are still part of the known issue status.

If you're facing issues with spell checking in multiple languages in Microsoft Teams, even after enabling the spell check feature and clearing certain directories. We have observed this is a common complaint among Teams user after upgrading to the New Teams

1. Make sure that the language you want to use is enabled in Windows. You can do this by going to Settings > Time & language > Language & region > Add a language. Once the language is added, click the Options button next to it and select Download for the Language pack and Keyboard options.

2. Confirm that the "Enable spell check" setting is turned on in Teams -> Settings -> General, and restart Teams if necessary

3. Switch the spell check language in Teams by writing several messages in a chat or channel in a different language to activate the language-aware spell checking automatically, or by using the Language bar to switch between languages that use different keyboard layouts

4. Check if spellcheck is enabled in your operating system settings. To do this, go to your computer's settings, then click on "Devices," and then "Typing." Make sure that the "Autocorrect misspelled words" and "Highlight misspelled words" options are turned on.

5. If you are still having problems, you can try disabling spell check in Teams and then enabling it again. To do this, go to Settings > General and scroll down to the Language section. Under Spell check, uncheck the Enable spell check box and then check it again.

6. Clear the cache and cookies in your browser. This can help resolve any temporary issues that may be causing the spellchecker to malfunction.

7. Try using a different browser or device to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the issue is specific to your current browser or device.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, i would like to inform you to wait until the end of January and i will update you on the status.

Please feel free to let us know if there are any questions or if we got you wrong. We will continue to assist you based on the information you provide. We sincerely appreciate your patience and cooperation. 

   

Sincerely                  

   

Eben Ezer Tres | Microsoft Community Moderator 

* Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

32 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here. The problem is not Teams or Windows settings, something in Teams is breaking the spell check.

If you clear the Teams cache then spelling starts working again. After a few minutes you get a prompt to "Update and restart". Once you do this then spelling stops working. I assume Teams is downloading some new files or is applying some policy settings and this is what breaks it.

This is not just non-USA regional spell checking, this is all spelling checking that stops working. Our users would be happy if they could get even USA spell checking!

I've raised a ticket through our Unified support route, however nobody there seems to have any kind of clue what's going on and just wants to close the ticket :-(

191 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We are having the issue as well. We have about 100 users running the new Teams (Windows 10) and the spell check will randomly stop working.. Sometimes in an hour or two, sometimes a bit longer. The only way we are able to fix it is to do a cache reset on Teams 2.0. This will fix it, but only for a little while. It's probably been reported by several users, including myself.

44 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also still having problems with spell check in New Teams after going through the steps listed above.

29 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Resetting the Teams app worked for me, but I'm sure it will break again at some point until Microsoft releases a fix for the issue.

I followed these steps: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/troubleshoot/teams-administration/clear-teams-cache#new-teams

Note that the first step means your computer settings, not within Teams.

57 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Another workaround is to install the free version of Grammarly (on your computer so that it works in apps like Teams) to run basic spellcheck.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Another workaround is to install the free version of Grammarly (on your computer so that it works in apps like Teams) to run basic spellcheck.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, ever since my teams was updated , spell check no longer works. I have abled and disabled it and still nothing. English United States is my only language. Please advise. I NEED SPELL CHECK.

Thank you,

36 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Having the same issue.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 122,718 Applies to: