WINWORD.EXE IS MISSING

So this is the first time I'm having problems with word app, it won't open and always asking for the winword.exe

I have Windows 10 and I'm still under the subscription of Microsoft 365 Office for individual
*PPT EXCEL and all other apps are working perfectly fine

this are the things that i did to try to fix it.

*Uninstall and install the micrsoft 365 and restarted the laptop (same problem still)

*ran a scan in my pc and there are no problems

*quick repair in control panel (didn't help)

*turn off internet and restarted my laptop

OK, you've done pretty much everything I was ready to start (thanks for the list, that speeds things up).

Your problem should normally be fixed by doing a repair or install. Setting up the Start menu tiles are part of both of those processes. But apparently, something in your current setup is blocking the Word tile/shortcut.

At this point, it looks like you have to break out the "big guns" and do a "full" uninstall using Method 2 in the following tip. This will nuke all of your customizations, so if you have customized Word, make a backup copy of your NORMAL.DOTM. If you have customized Excel, backup personal.xlsb

Uninstall Office 2016 / 365 – 2007

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/uninstall-office-from-a-pc-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5dbf61d8?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Method 1: Uninstall from Control Panel (or Settings dialog)

Method 2: Completely uninstall Office with the uninstall support tool (SetupProd_OffScrub.exe)

Method 3: Remove manually (Registry Hack)

The Method 1, “Normal uninstall”, is designed with the assumption that you will be re-installing Office. It does NOT delete everything. It leaves configuration files like NORMAL.DOTM and other templates etc. It also leaves configuration Registry entries. Normally these “carry-overs” are safe. But if method 1 didn’t fix your problem, they may be the cause.

Method 2 (and 3) are intended to completely wipe Office from your computer

Note:Method 1 includes links to Office version specific re-install instructions

Office File Account - 365 activated Pro Plus 2016 not activated.jpg

Method 2

So if Method 1 doesn’t fix your problem, try Method 2. Method 2 does a more thorough job that the “normal” uninstall (aka Method 1). It deletes “everything” associated with Office  except your personal (document, spreadsheet etc) files created using Office

*  Boot the computer.

*  After the restart go to http://office.com/myaccount to re-install Office 365.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/uninstall-microsoft-office-2013-365 - This page is a “how-to” on using 27390501 and has screen captures of the whole uninstall process

NOTE:   BEFORE you start the uninstall,
If you have an Office 365 bundle or Office 2016 / 2019, make sure you can access the MyAccount page so you can reinstall.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Actually, before doing my earlier suggestion, in the start menu, type winword.exe.  If it is found, hit enter. That should start Word.

I just want to confirm if the problem is really a missing winword.exe or a problem with the tile/shortcut.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you trying to start the application by double clicking on a file, or from the Windows Start or from the Word icon on the Task bar?

Try the latter methods.

See:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Can-t-find-Office-applications-in-Windows-10-Windows-8-or-Windows-7-907ce545-6ae8-459b-8d9d-de6764a635d6

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 7,607 Applies to: