Extra line breaks in Notes in Outlook 2016 for Mac when synced to Outlook 2016 for Windows

I had a client mention that any notes the created or edited in Outlook 2016 for Mac had extra line breaks when viewed from Outlook 2016 on a Windows device. Expected behavior would be consistent visual formatting in notes across Mac and Windows in Outlook 2016.

To reproduce:

1. Create a note in Outlook 2016 for Mac.
  2. Add multiple lines of text to the note - no blank lines between lines of text.
  3. Once synced, open the note in Outlook 2016 for Windows.
  4. All lines of text now have extra blank lines between one another that were not previously visible on Mac.

Or:

1. Create a note in Outlook 2016 for Windows.
  2. Add multiple lines of text to the note - no blank lines between lines of text.
  3. Once synced, open the note in Outlook 2016 for Mac.
  4. Make any change/edit to the note and close it.
  5. Once synced, open the note in Outlook 2016 for Windows.
  6. All lines of text now have extra blank lines between one another that were not previously visible on Mac.

Using a "soft return" (Shift+Enter) does not result in the expected behavior either.

Has anyone run into this issue and found a solution? I dug through some of the formatting options available in both clients, but was unable to identify anything that produced the expected behavior.

Answer
Answer

Hi James,

Sorry for the delay.

I have consulted our relevant team and they confirmed this should be a bug. Given the situation, I suggest you contact the our relevant team directly  by using Contact Support on the Help menu in Outlook for Mac. They will contact you directly for further assistance. For your reference: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_mac/new-contact-support-feature-in-outlook-2016-for/d4fc21c4-25e2-4e10-b943-1fba6542b517

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Robert

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 6, 2023 Views 322 Applies to: