Office 365 Excel Mac and PC Incompatible?

I am working as a consultant on a project where we have a variety of computers and versions of Office running.  I recently created a spreadsheet to track our work and placed it on the shared drive that was set up for us.  I created the spreadsheet on my PC using 365 Home.  The spreadsheet seems to work fine for everybody except one colleague who is using 365 Home for Mac, and of course is one of the main people who needs to use this file.  When he tries to open the spreadsheet, the program spends several minutes trying to load it, then Excel crashes with an error stating that it was unable to open the file.  The spreadsheet has three sheets with a vlookup function between two of the sheets and an index-match between two sheets as well.  I made sure that there are no database relationships between the sheets as I read that the Mac version doesn't have that capability.  Any other reason people can think of why the file won't open for that person?

I forgot to add that we are both running the latest version of Office 365, both having downloaded it in November for use on this project.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi David,

We’d suggest you post the issue in our Office for Mac forum which is a specific support channel for Office 365 Personal, Home or University subscribers.

Thanks for your understanding.

Spike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I thought this would be the most appropriate channel.   Isn't this  "Office 365 for Mac?"  What specifically is this channel for?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Abdullah,

For the Excel for Mac crash issue, you may refer to this KB to troubleshoot the issue: https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/172/t/423847

Since this issue is an Office client issue and engineers here are dedicated at Office 365 for business Online services (such as SharePoint Online and Exchange Online) related issues, we suggest you contact our Office support team in TechNet for specialized help.

Highly appreciated your understanding.

Thanks,
Iris

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 10, 2016 Views 2 Applies to: