Office 365 User Groups - Management?

Is anyone able to advise on how groups can be used, and managed in Office 365 to stop them getting out of control and being unmanageable?

We have been testing out groups for users (which appears to be the default state of enabled) and found they behave in a few weird ways:

• Groups are automatically given a MicrosoftOnline email address that other staff can email.
  • Groups are automatically published in the address book so staff can search them out and email them.
  • Groups seem to be able to be created with the same display names. (but not email address)
  • Naming cannot be enforced on groups.
  • We cannot see how active a group is, or if it has been abandoned. 

Some of these are not the end of the world - but I think I must be missing something because as more and more people begin using this I see a wave of 1000's of groups, miss send emails, duplicates left right and centre, with no ability to see what is going on when the company inevitably tells us to pull the plug.

We are very eager not to turn off the functionality and return to a "we are the master key holders" but I see large amounts of frustration in the coming months.  These issues seem a tad.. obvious though so am certainly open minded to being told that we are doing something fundamentally wrong or missing some core way of working that turns this into a magical experience.

Can anyone weight in to confirm what we are doing wrong?

Answer
Answer

Hi Andrew,

Office 365 Groups basically brings collaboration tools together so users can easily connect with their colleagues. As I know, Microsoft is constantly making improvements to Office 365 groups. For more details, you may refer to the what’s new in Office 365 groups part in this article:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Office-365-groups-Admin-help-3f780e8e-61aa-4287-830d-ff6209cbc192?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
You can also review the rest of the information for a better overview of Office 365 groups as an admin.

To answer your questions or verify what you’ve found about Office 365 groups:
1) Correct.
2) Correct. But you can run the PowerShell cmdlet *** Email address is removed for privacy *** to hide a specific Office 365 group from GAL.
3) Correct. As an admin, you can also change the display name of the Office 365 group later if needed.
4) Do you mean the Groups ID (email address) is uneditable in Exchange Admin Center or Admin Portal after it’s created? If yes, I suggest you change it using this PowerShell cmdlet:
*** Email address is removed for privacy ***
If not, please specify your requirement for our better understanding.
5) Based on my research and test, there is no direct way to see how active an Office 365 group is. However, we can run message traces and set the group as the sender or recipient to check the number of outgoing or incoming emails for a specific period.
NOTE: You should connect to Exchange Online PowerShell before running the cmdlets mentioned above.

Let me know if anything is misunderstood.

Regards,
Sam

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 361 Applies to: