Your product key has been activated the maximum number of times?

I've purchased MS-office 2010 and upgraded to the 2013 version (Professional Plus). Recently I bought a new desktop computer (on Win 8) and tried to install and activate Office 2013. When installed, it requested to put the product key so I put it. 

But after installation, when I open any of Office programs, the installed Office program gives me a notice "Your copy of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 cannot be activated because the specified Product Key has already been activated the maximum number of times for your software license", which is not true! Office has been activated and used in only two of my other laptops and this time is just the third one. 

As far as I know, the maximum is five for each product key. This trouble really annoys me. I've tried telephone activation but it didn't work either. Please show me a guide to fix this trouble. 

Office 2013 is licensed for the single PC, Office 365 Home Premium is licensed for 5 devices

Office 2013 Pro Plus is a volume Licence only available to qualifying persons, if you purchased it direct from a third party site you have likely purchased a hacked version

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

What on earth are you talking about? I purchased it through the HUP (home use program, http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx?culture=en-US). Here's my scanned email receipt. 

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem. Had it installed on my desktop, my granddaughter's laptop for college and when I tried to activate it on my laptop, I got the same excess message. My granddaughter had to restore a lot of her programs from a "fix" the college data tech did for her, but even after activating MOPP 2013 a 2nd time on her laptop, I should still be able to install and activate on my laptop.

Please advise how to fix this problem. Her laptop is acting up again and I want her to be able to have portable access since she has a lot of researching to do for her college programs. If you've ever been in college, you know what I'm talking about!! Most of her professors post in PowerPoint and more than half her homework is done online, not to mention the tons of essays she has to write on just about every subject under the sun!

Also got the same email when I purchased my copy from HUP as well.

441 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you read the license terms you will see that all of the "Office 2013 ???" bundles are good for install on only one computer at a time (MS "Improved" the license terms for 2013 from 2 or 3 to only 1).  Only (most, not all of) the "Office 365 bundles allow install on up to 5 computers at the same time (Office University only allows 2).

Originally, the 2013 licenses were NOT transferable, but MS bent to preasure and retroactively changed that license term

2013 03 06- Office 2013 now transferable

http://blogs.office.com/b/office-news/archive/2013/03/06/office-2013-retail-license-agreement-now-transferable.aspx

While the license agreement accompanying Office 2013 software will be updated in a future release, this change is effective immediately and applies to Office Home and Student 2013, Office Home and Business 2013, Office Professional 2013 and the standalone Office 2013 applications. These transferability options are equivalent to those found in the Office 2010 retail license terms. The updated text is as follows:

Updated transferability provision to the Retail License Terms of the Software License Agreement for Microsoft Office 2013 Desktop Application Software:

Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you, but not more than one time every 90 days (except due to hardware failure, in which case you may transfer sooner). If you transfer the software to another computer, that other computer becomes the “licensed computer.” You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement before the transfer. Any time you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer and you may not retain any copies.

Transfer Office 2013 from Dead Computer - Jevon Fark - Replace PKC

http://blogs.office.com/b/office-news/archive/2013/03/06/office-2013-retail-license-agreement-now-transferable.aspx

http://blogs.office.com/b/office-news/archive/2013/02/19/office-2013-and-office-365-installations-and-transferability.aspx

FINALLY, I have a quote from a MS source that says there is a mechanism for getting a new Product Key if your computer dies

<snip>In the event that a customer buys the Office 2013 software and installs it on a PC that fails under warranty, the customer can contact support to receive an exemption to activate the Office 2013 software on the replacement PC. </snip>

PS: letting your daughter use you HUP licesne at work is 'bending' the license terms. It is intended for your use to do business related work at home.

As a student she can get the Office 365 University bundle for US$80, one-time payment good for up to a 4 year subscription. 

Also, as a student she may qualify for a free copy based on this new offering from MS:
University Dec 1 2013 - “Student Advantage” - Free 365 Pro Plus at schools that have site license

http://blogs.office.com/b/office-news/archive/2013/10/15/announcing-student-advantage.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2013/oct13/10-15skillspr.aspx 

<snip  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/16/microsoft_office_student_advantage_program/ >

The software giant on Tuesday announced a new program called Student Advantage, whereby students worldwide can sign up for subscriptions to Office 365 ProPlus through their institutions at no cost to themselves.

The only stipulation is that the schools must have already licensed either Office 365 ProPlus or Office Professional Plus for their entire workforces, including faculty and staff.

</snip>

So talk to your Help desk to find out if this applies to your school

<snip  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/academic/ >

Get Office 365 ProPlus for students at no extra cost when you purchase Office for faculty and staff

When you license Office 365 ProPlus or Office Professional Plus institution-wide for all your faculty/staff, your students get access to Office 365 ProPlus at no extra cost. Starts Dec. 1, 2013.

My institution is already paying for students to use Office 365 ProPlus. When can we move to offering it to students at no additional cost?

Your institution can order and deploy Office 365 ProPlus to students starting December 1, 2013, provided that it meets all the conditions required for this Enrollment for Education Solutions, Open Value Subscription-Education Solutions, or school contract benefit. At the anniversary or renewal date for your contract, please contact your Volume Licensing reseller to address additional questions related to the software provided to students.

What happens when a student graduates?

When students graduate, their Office 365 subscription through the institution ends. They can enroll in other consumer or commercial offers.

</snip>

Microsoft announces new Student Advantage Program - Dec 1, 2013 - “Free” Office 365 Pro Plus

http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_on_the_issues/archive/2013/10/15/microsoft-announces-new-student-advantage-program-to-prepare-students-for-tomorrow-s-jobs.aspx

Beginning Dec. 1, any academic institution that licenses Office for staff and faculty can provide Office 365 ProPlus for students at no additional cost. Student Advantage makes it easy for qualifying institutions to provide students with the latest version of full Office at school and at home. Combined with Office 365 for Education plan A2, which is free for schools, Student Advantage gives students access to the same set of world-class productivity tools and services used by Fortune 500 companies all over the world.

Student Advantage Plan - Office 365 ProPlus “Free” at qualifying institutions  - Dec 1, 2013

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/students-can-get-microsoft-office-365-for-free/

Starting on December 1st, Universities that license Office Education for their faculty and staff can offer students Office 365 ProPlus for free thanks to a new program called Student Advantage.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I installed Office 2013 on an old laptop and again on my new laptop. I have had problems with my new laptop so have wiped and reinstalled my programs again several times. I got Office 2013 Professional Plus from work as part of the Home Use Program, so I'm a fully paid member.

When I got the error message, same as above, I clicked on Telephone Activation only to be told that Telephone Activation is no longer supported for your product!!!

How the **** am I supposed to get this working? I have paid for the product and got the key so I'd except to be able to use it.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry there is not simple fix for this pair of new problems MS has created.

The "too many activations" message started popping up about a year ago.  On some licenses there is a limit on the number of times you can install and activate. But it should not apply to your license type.

The "no phone activation" message started showing up the end of last year.  Seems like MS is trying to stop providing phone activation. People with licenses from 2007 to 2016 have reported this problem.  BUT, after getting this message some people have been able to go on and do a phone activation.  Try again ... Try from a different computer, like a friends. All you need is to get the displayed phone number, you don't have to continue beyond that point. Try triggering the phone activation from a different <edit>phone number computer/network connection.

There is an associated issue with phone activation. The phone number displayed (when it is displayed) is specific for your geographic location so there is no single number we can provide. It is NOT version specific.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
Prof. Doug Fisher

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I stand corrected. In another similar question MS has acknowledged this is a "known issue" and have provided a KB article that will provide you with the phone activation number appropriate for your geographic location. YAY!

"Telephone activation is no longer supported for your product" error when activating Office

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_install-mso_win10/how-to-reinstall-office-home-and-student-2007/fcd910a6-c4cf-4739-9cf2-1dc5b39e7e53?msgId=725b5bc7-f577-4366-9a33-3ba29d67f3dd

<snip>

Michelle V [MSFT]

We apologize for this inconvenience. We are currently fixing this bug in our Office products. In the meantime, you can call the numbers for your specific country/region listed in this article (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/-Telephone-activation-is-no-longer-supported-for-your-product-error-when-activating-Office-9b016cd2-0811-4cb3-b896-5a6a13177713?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US ).

Please also note that this issue impacts Office non-subscribers only—those who purchased the product as a one-time purchase. For more information, see What's the difference between Office 365 and Office 2016?

If this doesn't solve the issue, please contact our support agents linked from the bottom of the same article.

Again, we apologize for this issue. We are working to get this resolved quickly and will update this thread once the fix is available.

Thanks,

Michelle V.

Office Team

</snip>

Prof. Doug Fisher

37 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

actualy  sir I am bought a laptop before 2 week ago and their have already installed that office 2013 but unfortunetly it's have been formt when I reetting my pc and then I have to install office 2016 and when I open any application of office then always show me "enter product key" so please help me actualy I am a student so facing

problem without this application.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 21, 2024 Views 117,913 Applies to: