What is the Technical Justification for Replacing a Comma (,) with a Carat-J (^J) in Filenames?

I am looking for the technical justification and explanation as to WHY a comma in a filename gets replaced with a carat and a 'J' (two characters instead of one)? Neither of these links answered my question.

A comma is valid in a URL, SQL, NTFS filesystem, etc. I literally can think of no reason for this, and it's very annoying seeing my filenames renamed. Even if you rename the damn things on the backend, fine, but at least have the decency to DISPLAY what I actually named my fricken file!! 😒

Thanks!

Hello I am Abdal and I would be glad to help you with your question. The technical justification for replacing a comma (",") with a carat-J ("^J") in filenames may vary depending on the specific software or system involved. However, in general, the replacement of characters in filenames is often done to ensure compatibility with different operating systems or file systems that have restrictions on certain characters. Here are a few reasons why a comma might be replaced with a carat-J or another character combination: 1 Some operating systems, such as Windows, have restrictions on certain characters that can be used in filenames. For example, Windows does not allow the use of characters like slashes ("/" or "\"), colons (":"), asterisks ("*"), question marks ("?"), quotation marks ('"'), and less than or greater than signs ("<", ">") in filenames. In such cases, software or systems may automatically replace these characters with a different character or character combination, such as a carat-J, to ensure compliance with the restrictions. 2. Different file systems also impose restrictions on the characters that can be used in filenames. For example, the NTFS file system used by Windows has restrictions on characters like slashes, colons, and question marks. While a comma is generally allowed in NTFS, specific software or systems may choose to replace it with another character to avoid any potential issues with compatibility or interoperability. 3. In some cases, filenames are used as part of a URL, and certain characters may have special meanings or need to be encoded. Comma is not a reserved character in URLs and does not require encoding, but different systems or software might have their own rules or conventions that lead to the replacement of commas for compatibility or consistency purposes. I hope this information helps. Regards, Abdal Give back to the community. Help the next person with this problem by indicating whether this answer solved your problem. Click Yes or No at the bottom.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello I am Abdal and I would be glad to help you with your question. The technical justification for replacing a comma (",") with a carat-J ("^J") in filenames may vary depending on the specific software or system involved. However, in general, the replacement of characters in filenames is often done to ensure compatibility with different operating systems or file systems that have restrictions on certain characters. Here are a few reasons why a comma might be replaced with a carat-J or another character combination: 1 Some operating systems, such as Windows, have restrictions on certain characters that can be used in filenames. For example, Windows does not allow the use of characters like slashes ("/" or "\"), colons (":"), asterisks ("*"), question marks ("?"), quotation marks ('"'), and less than or greater than signs ("<", ">") in filenames. In such cases, software or systems may automatically replace these characters with a different character or character combination, such as a carat-J, to ensure compliance with the restrictions. 2. Different file systems also impose restrictions on the characters that can be used in filenames. For example, the NTFS file system used by Windows has restrictions on characters like slashes, colons, and question marks. While a comma is generally allowed in NTFS, specific software or systems may choose to replace it with another character to avoid any potential issues with compatibility or interoperability. 3. In some cases, filenames are used as part of a URL, and certain characters may have special meanings or need to be encoded. Comma is not a reserved character in URLs and does not require encoding, but different systems or software might have their own rules or conventions that lead to the replacement of commas for compatibility or consistency purposes. I hope this information helps. Regards, Abdal Give back to the community. Help the next person with this problem by indicating whether this answer solved your problem. Click Yes or No at the bottom.

Hi, I have the same question. But is there a solution to prevent this from happening?

I use commas in my filenames and there were never any prompts saying commas are not allowed in file names. It still automatically replaces my commas with "^J" which is annoying as I have to keep changing them back. It doesn't make sense.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The question was specific to the use of ",". The other characters we understand. Please address why "," is being changed. Thank you.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This answer failed to address the question actually asked.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have found that files in local storage are fine. It's the cloud files that get renamed.

Windows enthusiast

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's correct. The original question is an attempt to determine what technical limitation (if any) prevents MS from storing documents which include a "comma" in the document name. You can do this in MS Word - why did they choose to make their Cloud storage incompatible with Word?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2024 Views 433 Applies to: