Unable to view "+" and "-" buttons on left-hand side for grouping rows (not an advanced setting issue, as box is checked)

Good Afternoon,

I have a certain tab in a spreadsheet that is not properly displaying the "+" and "-" in Group/Ungroup in Excel. This is not an issue of FileàOptionsàAdvancedàCheck the box for “Show outline symbols if an outline is applied” because I have already checked the box.

The functionality of the grouping is working, but it does not show the “+” or “-“ in the margins on the upper left-hand side like is should. The only way to expand and collapse is to click the “Show Detail/Hide Detail” buttons in the Data Ribbon.

You can see a partial line from the grouping, but the outline tools are not available like they should be (the first picture highlights the partial grouping line, which proves it is there; the second picture shows what I should be seeing on this tab).

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks!

Hello Clayton,

If you have already checked the box "Show outline symbols if an outline is applied” and still the issue persists, check by increasing the zooming in percentage of the worksheet and see if it helps.

For more details, refer the discussions in the following thread and check.

Hope this helps. If you have any queries, do let us know.

Thank you.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your help. The last reply in the thread you suggested had a response that worked (Step 1 and 2)! See excerpt below:

"I have met the same problem. +/- grouping symbols are missing, and Options - Advanced - Show outlines symbols checkbox does not solve problem.

I'm not sure but it seems that problem is in wrong height properties in xml code. 

That is what i usualy do to deal with it:

1) Select all cells on the sheet

2) On the Home tab, in the cells Group, click Format, then click AutoFit Row Height (or AutoFit Column Width or both)

Now problem should be solved but all heights changed

Sometimes it does not work. In this case i open xml code of the sheet and change there defaultRowHeight from 0 to 12.75"

345 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 59,332 Applies to: