OneDrive Personal Vault Shortcut Not Functioning on PC

Hi, I am at my wits end with this issue and need some support.  

The Personal Vault function for OneDrive PC has stopped working.  It was working yesterday and today is no longer working.  It started when I attempted to unlock the Personal Vault to continue a large file sync which was occurring yesterday.  I clicked to unlock the Personal Vault in the OneDrive tray and it told me that all the files were up to date, which I knew they were not.  So I locked the vault and then attempted to reopen it, and got the following error message. 

(Please note this is NOT my screenshot, my file location was D:\OneDrive\Personal Vault, I have borrowed this screenshot from another post).)  

I repeatedly logged in and out of OneDrive to see if this would fix the issue but it did not.  

I have used the Win+R function and the following command "%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset" to attempt to reset OneDrive.  

Finally, I have uninstalled and reinstalled OneDrive (several times).  There is now no option to unlock the Personal Vault, as you can see here:

The shortcut no longer displays the Personal Vault icon:

And when I click the "Open location" in the top left corner I get the following error:

I really have no idea what else to do so any help would be appreciated.  

FYI, I am having no issues opening the Personal Vault through a web browser, and can see all the files which had completed syncing before this issue arose.  

I am having the same problem after reinstalling Windows 10. The Personal Vault shortcut is there, but is not functional. Double-clicking does nothing. Right-clicking gives the normal context menu for any other .lnk file and doesn't do the special stuff associated with the "Personal Vault.lnk" file. I have tried deleting the file, but I can't figure out how to get OneDrive to recreate it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled OneDrive.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The shortcut actually works from the recycle bin within the OneDrive web interface, but not from the "My Files" folder. From the Recycle bin, I have the added context menu item "Show Personal Vault items", but not in "My Files". This is not the case with the shortcut once it is in the Recycle bin in Windows Explorer.

Edit: The fact that it is functional within the OneDrive web interface is not helpful regardless of whether it is in "My Files" or the recycle bin, since you can just use the regular "Personal Vault" icon to unlock it from there. We really need a way to unlock the vault some other way. Using a shortcut for this seems like a really clunky workaround. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 5, 2024 Views 949 Applies to: