Office 365 Outlook "Something went wrong. We weren't able to register your device and add your account to Windows."

Split from this thread.

I have the same problem with a single user accessing locally installed O365 apps - especially Outlook. The credential work with online versions of the apps. Opening Outlook triggers a password dialogue box. Entering the password opens another dialogue = "use this account everywhere on your device" . Responding 'yes' triggers another dialogue on screen too briefly to read as it is replaced with the original dialogue asking for credentials again. Trying to log in to OneDrive with the known good credentials simply triggers an error "your account or password in incorrect..."

I have have deleted the stored credentials in the Manager - without this fixing the problem. Interestingly, those credentials have not been recreated. 

It might be relevant that this all followed the user having a problem with the lap on the train which resulted in the unit (a Dell Inspiron) restarting in rescue mode and then refusing to boot claiming no boot device was present. Some work in the bios restored that but a Bitlocker (not set by us) lockout them had to be bypassed with the unlock code from the Azure database. Thereafter, all local installations of Office products won't recognise the password

Answer
Answer

Hi 

I have solved the problem. I spent about 2 hours on the phone with O365 support yesterday. We ran through a lot of elements and tried a variety of corrective actions. This means it is hard to be sure what worked. There are two possibilities and one probability:

• O365 and Azure showed a list of registered devices some of which were redundant. However, it only shows PCs not other devices such as Android ones. We deleted them all (including the malfunctioning device) and allowed the recreation of the current devices. TBH, I think this was a bit of housekeeping rather than the core problem
  • the 'license' registered on the laptop seemed to be wrong i.e. from a previous O365 installation. Had to use various command line commands to remove and replace the license. Again, not sure if this was central - certainly got no idea how it might have happened as the laptop is relatively new and has not had any other copy of O365 on it. The laptop did experience an event (don't know the cause) which caused the bios to stop recognising the boot device (an SDD) and I had to recreate a boot path. It was certainly after this that O365 stopped working 
  • We set up a test user on the PC and were able to configure O365 to connect to the correct account and run. This, I suspect, demonstrated that the problem was some configuration conflict buried deep in the user account configuration. So I deleted the malfunctioning account, recreated it, using a MS registered login email and linked the O365 to it. This now all works

The one remaining issue is that account syncing is greyed out with a message that its controlled by an administrator. I am that administrator and I certainly haven't turned it off. I've seen this problem with domain-registered devices but this one is running plain old W10 Home which can't be domain linked

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 16, 2024 Views 15,661 Applies to: