Office 2013 Is Not User Friendly - Sharing my frustration at the changes (at least some of them) and feedback for the next version--soon, I hope.

I just started using Office 2013 (from 2003) a few weeks ago andI find new reasons to think Office 2013 sucks EVERY DAY.  Every day I pounds my fist on my desk because some useful feature that was available before is now missing or takes much longer.  It seems like changes were implemented just because you needed to make changes, not because you were looking at the way people worked to improve their work flow.  Here are a few of them that I have found: 

My biggest complaints are about Outlook.  I am especially baffled as to why you uncoupled Outlook from Word.  I use both every day, and compose hundreds of emails a week, along with other correspondence and reports.  I use autotext a lot!  Now, I find that there are separate normal templates, one for Word and one for Outlook.   The autotext is not shared, so entries I create in Word are not automatically available to me in Outlook--I have to create them again to use them in Outlook!  I've tried to understand

The Backstage is really not user friendly.  It adds extra steps to what used to be a two click operation.  In addition, I find the shifting of the screen to the right disorienting.  Why put some stuff at the top of the page, and other commands in this weird place.  How is the user supposed to figure out what's "Backstage" and what's in the Ribbon?  I'm finding out by trial and error.  

Speaking of style and colors, the relatively monotone, run-together look of 2013 makes it hard to differentiate different items, and there are only two options for the look?  I expected that somehow i would still be able to get the old look back.  

I can't print a selection in Outlook, only a page or the entire email?  GOOFY.  I used to be able to highlight someone's mailing address in an email, print a label and have something shipped to them.  Now I need to copy the address, paste it into Word and then print my label.  That, to me, is NOT an improvement.  

I found this thread that explains one of my first beefs about having the Reading Pane on the bottom in Outlook:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/b4d21ea2-547b-4b7b-8fe1-d183d5b4ac8a/outlook-2013possible-to-removeedit-layout-header-in-mail-preview-pane

You obviously didn't finish the design of 2013.  I was trying to send an email marked "private."  I had to go to the Ribbon, then guess that in the "Tags" tab that by clicking on the itsy-bitsy icon at the bottom right of the tab that I would get a dialog box that would allow me to mark it private.  The box is unchanged from 2003, including the style and colors.  

I told the IT manager at my job that I would no longer complain to him, because there's nothing he can do.  I know I'm Shouting Down the Well to send this, but it gives me some satisfaction to communicate my intense dislike of Office 2013.  Maybe by sharing this with you, someone can help me find easier ways to do things, or you will be able to implement changes in a new (retro) version of Office that would be more user friendly.  

Rick Walker

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Ms has received many such feedback, what I feel is if there were plans to change they would have done that by now.

That said, the more feedback they get the better chances of anything changing later on.

Trying to be helpful.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

I agree completely. Several key issues:

"the relatively monotone, run-together look of 2013 makes it hard to differentiate different items," ABSOLUTELY AGREE!

Outlook: When an Inbox or other folder is selected, the shortcut doesn't remain highlighted, (as it did in Outlook 2007). So I can't tell which folder I'm viewing. The folder name at the top of the screen is useless - I have 3 Inboxes, the shortcuts have been renames do I can tell them apart, but the folder name at the top of the screen say Inbox for all of them.

I think this is just carelessness, Outlook 2007 worked fine in that regard, there is no way anyone who was thinking would consider this an improvement. They just didn't bother to get it right.

Help is useless; brings up references that have no relevance. When you finally find Help for the feature you're looking for, it doesn't tell you where to find it. It's buried in some corner of the damned Ribbon, (a invention of the devil).

Frustration!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This description doesn't even begin to come close to my frustration about Microsoft in general, and office in particular.

Never have i seen such a lousy job.

I one would try deliberately to mess up something that was ok. This is how one would do it !

I was stupid enough to buy a windows phone, thinking that a windows phone would easily communicate with windows. (one would tend to think so, right ?)

Not so.

Even more, I turned back to my old Ipaq PDA to have something i could put in my pocket that held all contacts and appointments. With windows 7 and office 2010, this still worked... Oooofff.

Surprise ! Since last version of windows 7 and 8, and office 2013 : they don't support auto sync anymore !

It used to be easy : usb-cable in. Synchronizing ... Ready.

Now ? oh yes, pictures, movies, games,...  but calendar and contacts... no...

What i start to think ?

Microsoft deliberately blocked these features to force people to put all their data on Microsofts Hotmail and Outlook servers. In fact, this is legalized phishing !

The only reason i bought a PC is that some programs i need don't exist on Mac.

And now I get a friendly e-mail, thanking me for joining MS community. Well, i just joined to be able to shout out my disgust and frustration.

Sorry to have to deal with Microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ms has received many such feedback, what I feel is if there were plans to change they would have done that by now. That said, the more feedback they get the better chances of anything changing later on. Oh, just leave it like it is. Apple will laugh its **** off !

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sir, I agree with you on all counts and more.  To devote my full attention to my dislikes of Word 2007/2010 (an utter atrocity), Office 2013, and Windows 8 would be to devote the rest of my life to a lost cause. I do have to work and take care of my family, after all.

Suffice to say the Microsoft simply does not value its power users. I hasn't since Office 2003, and that was over a decade ago.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Agree completely!

Had to roll back to Office 2010!!

I did as much as I could to customize Office 2013 to my looks but still I have a hard time differentiating the mail list. It's so hard to see conversations and new emails. Everything is like a blur.

Never had any issues with new Office launches but 2013 is really rubbish.

I wonder if MS actually evaluates the software before launching.

Microsoft, please fix Office 2013! Do it again, Do it correctly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I am also so frustrated.  Why does Outlook hide draft emails when you go to another application to check for information or do something else?  It used to be that you could mouse over the Outlook icon and all draft emails would be shown in the order they were created.  Now, they may or may not be there at all, and most often are not. 

Also, with the latest version, highlighting text in an email may or may not work.  Often, it will only highlight part of what I am trying to highlight.  How hard is it to make selecting text work?

One more gripe:  copying and pasting between Outlook and Word may or may not work now.  Very often when I paste something, what gets pasted isn't what I just copied, but something I copied earlier - even something that I copied 3 months earlier. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I feel your pain Rick. I only upgraded to Office 2013 Professional because I could not find my disk for Office 2010 Pro. What a big difference. The interface is very quirky and jerky as if it is entirely a WEB interface and not at all installed on my local computer. It operates like a piece of freeware not a $495.00 piece of software. It looks cheap and is not as functional as my Office 2010 was. My thoughts were to go ahead and purchase 2013 because eventually they will discontinue support for 2010.

I also have to agree with you in that it looks like they made changes JUST TO MAKE CHANGES and to justify it as a new version. I think they could have added the cloud functionality and left the 2010 interface alone. I wish they would make it available to change the interface to clone the 2010 version.

Sincerely,

Darrel Allen

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Who gave the graphics people their head?  Office 2013 would be great if I wanted only to look at a pleasing screen with lots of white space.  Trouble is, I want to accomplish lots of tasks.  So I need lots of information, easily accessible, not pretty clouds taking up space on the screen.  Maybe Microsoft could install a "non-meditation mode" I could activate when I want to get things done--which is pretty much any time I'm at the computer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am not super proficient using my PC but I could always make a flyer in about 5 minutes.  Now it takes me over an hour with Office 2013.  The dumb "ribbon" on the top is not at all user friendly.  I'm trying now to crop photos that I have scanned but I can't find any crop marks.  I see them, but they don't activate.

I used to be able to crop photos from the camera, and remove extraneous material from the photo but now all I can do is make it larger or small by dragging the corners.   I want to cut off some sky or some road below, or cut someone out of the photo but I can't.  What I have been doing is put it in Publisher, and then lay a text box next to it and fill it with white and then make a pdf and can send it out.  Way too much effort for a simple thing.

The only good thing I have found is that I can right click to correct spelling.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 1,750 Applies to: