Clutter stopped working

I had clutter working successfully in my Outlook 2013 desktop client running Windows 10 for about a month and then it stopped moving emails and generating clutter reports. This is what I've tried so far to fix it (with no luck):

• Manually move emails from my inbox to clutter in Outlook desktop client.
  • Manually move emails from my inbox to clutter in the outlook.office.com web portal.
  • Turn the clutter feature off and on in the settings at outlook.office.com web portal.
  • Turn the clutter feature off and on using PowerShell.

The only other thing that may have caused this issue is that I had to replace my motherboard and CPU  on my PC and reactivate Office recently. I can't remember if clutter stopped working after I replaced the hardware but it seems like it was around that time.

Answer
Answer

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your cooperation.

About the Clutter, it needs to process up to 5,000 email messages before it has a sufficient training model to take action on items that are delivered to the inbox. Actually, clutter won’t start to work until it has processed at least 1000 messages. Again, the more clutter processes, the better it will be.

Inbox rules and folder structure also play a big role in the training of Clutter, so if you have any rules already organizing mail for you and moving messages to folders, Clutter will just ignore those messages. In fact, if a message is ever touched by an inbox rule Clutter will never touch it.

You can check whether the Clutter training model is being built by using MFCMAPI tool. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Start MFCMAPI, and then on the Session menu, click Logon.
  2. Select the profile, and then double-click the mailbox.  
  3. Expand Root Container , and then expand Top of Information Store .  
  4. Right-click Inbox , and then click Open Associated Contents Table .  
  5. Look for the following entries: 
    IPM.Configuration.Inference.TrainingModel.##.##

I suggest you continue moving messages to Clutter folder. And as a workaround, you can establish some customer rules. For example, from Sender to Clutter folder.  

Regards,

Peter

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 4, 2021 Views 1,047 Applies to: