Add a user AND install Office 365 Home on new user's computer "PROPER SEQUENCE"

Greetings friends,

I have an Office 365 Home subscription which allows five users to install Office 365 Home on up to five computers. This morning I was trying to help my son get Office 365 on his laptop. So, I installed Office 365 on it using my user account. Apparently, this was the wrong way to do it, since I want him to register as the user for his copy of Office 365. That way, I assume, he gets his separate 1 TB One Drive storage.  I think?

So, I'm guessing I have to correct my error by doing the following things:

1) Uninstall Office 365 on his Toshiba laptop

2) Deactivate his "install" of Office 365 on my account page (though his computer has yet to appear as an installed copy on that page.)

3) Send him the email invitation to set himself up as a "new user" under my Office 365 Home account.

4) Then he downloads Office 365 under HIS user name and his Toshiba laptop gets added to my list of installed copies of Office 365.

5) That way, he gets his separate 1 TB cloud storage on One Drive, that I assume he manages on his own.

Am I right?  Am I wrong? Please clarify!

Thanks very much,

Bill Phillips

Durham, North Carolina

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The Home version is licensed for 5 devices, no matter how many users are on a single PC

If you are the MS Account holder and log on to your MS Account on his PC and install Office that install will be for him as the user (his win user name) and not you and as such he will have OneDrive separate to yours

You could of course on your PC send him a sharing link for him to install office.

If you start Word on your PC>File>Account will show you as the user, if you do the same on his PC it will show him as the user

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, Palcouk. So, I understand from what you are saying that I DO NOT need to delete Office 365 Home from my son's Toshiba laptop in order for the two of us to have separate One Drive storage accounts. I was thinking I would need to start over and register him as a new user, then get him to download Office 365.

My concern is that I don't want our storage accounts to get mixed together. I just want MY STUFF on my ONE DRIVE, and HIS STUFF on his ONE DRIVE.

By the way, my son's Toshiba laptop has not appeared on my Office 365 account page. Both my Dell desktop and my Thinkpad are listed as installed copies of Office 365 Home, but his Toshiba laptop is not listed after 24 hours of installing Office on it.  Is there some time delay, in his laptop appearing on my list??

Thanks, Bill

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Any install should appear on your MS Account page immediately

As I said if you each start Word on your respective PC's, a blank doc, File>Account shows the user info

Each user has there own separate OneDrive

Contributor since 2006

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your response, Palcouk. However, I installed Office 365 Home on my son's Toshiba laptop THREE DAYS ago, and it still has not appeared on the list of devices on My Account page. This is the page I am looking at:

https://stores.office.com/myaccount/home.aspx?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1#Install

That page lists both my Dell desktop and my Lenovo Thinkpad as installed copies of Office 365 Home, but not my son's Toshiba laptop. 

Curiously, there is another web page labelled "Microsoft Account" and "Your Devices" which lists as my only device my desktop, even though I am currently signed in on my Thinkpad and am writing this forum entry on my Thinkpad.  Here is the page I am referring to:

https://account.microsoft.com/devices

So, I am finding a multiplicity of "sign in" pages for Microsoft, each having different and conflicting information about my account and the devices I have Office 365 installed on.

Best regards,

Bill Phillips, Durham, NC

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can sign in to the MS Account associated with your office purchase/install from here (Account)

https://commerce.microsoft.com/help

It should show all installs for all devices on which that Office version/license is installed on

This page https://account.microsoft.com/devices does not show my win or office install but shows my win phone and a win tablet

Contributor since 2006

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Palcouk,

I did click on the link you referred me to:

On that web page, I click on "devices." Only one device shows up. It is a desktop, which I guess is my desktop, but it identified not by my computer name, but simply by the word "Desktop" and a serial number. There are no other computers listed on that page.

When I click on this page:  https://stores.office.com/myaccount/home.aspx#Install

the information is more informative, but still incomplete. It lists my desktop, "BillPhillips-PC" and my laptop, "BillsThinkpad" by their proper names. However, it does not list my son's Toshiba laptop, which I installed Office 365 Home on 3 days ago.

So, now, I have three computers with Office 365 Home installed under my subscription. I have tested and used Word and Excel on each of them. But, still, none of the computers are properly identified on the web page you referred me to. And, on the page that I have found (above paragraph) only 2 of the 3 computers are listed.

Hope to get this clarified.

Best regards,

Bill Phillips, Durham, NC

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

On the link provided you click 'Account' - as I had indicated
Contributor since 2006

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is definitely the right sequence to do it. You just have to skip number 2 if its not appearing in your MyAccount page under installed devices.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here's the difficulty, Palcouk, when I follow the link you provided:

At the top left of that page are the words: Microsoft  Account

Just below there is a blue banner with the following links:

Home, Your info, Services and subscriptions, Payment and billing, Devices, Family, Security and privacy.

I have followed all of the links on this page. Only two offer relevant information regarding my installed copies of Office 365 for my Office 365 Home subscription:

Account: does list one PC, but with a generic name. Presumably, this is my Dell desktop.

Devices> Your devices: also lists the same desktop but no other devices on which I have installed Office 365 Home. (I have installed 3.)

It is puzzling that you persist in insisting that

is the correct page to find the installed copies of Office 365 Home for my account. Even my email from Microsoft suggests that I use the page http://www.office.com/myaccount

Now, when I follow that link, http://www.office.com/myaccount

I find more useful, though incomplete information. For installed copies of Office Home 365, it lists my Dell desptop and my Lenovo Thinkpad by the names that I have named them, but does not list my son's Toshiba laptop. The installed copy of Office 365 Home has been on the Toshiba now for two weeks, has been used frequently, and is not listed as an installed copy anywhere that I can find on any Microsoft pages under my account.

At this point, the problem in finding a complete list of my installed copies of Office 365 seems to be a Microsoft malfunction rather than my inability to find the correct page. I hesitate to mention the G word (Google,) the A words (Android or Apple,) or the free application Open Office, but it is understandable that someone would start thinking about defecting from Microsoft after 25 years of loyalty. If I cannot find a list of all of my installed computers with Office 365 Home, after two weeks of effort, it shakes my confidence in the reliability of the entire Office 365 set up.

My son’s college Google account using Google Docs and Gmail seem to work flawlessly for him, and it is free.  My reason for wanting to stay with Microsoft is the depth of features provided by Outlook (contacts and calendar), Word (the complex page arrangement of photos, arrows, text boxes, etc,) and the intricate details of Excel (being able to position slanted cell headings across the top of a page, for instance.)

But, with the ease of use that Google and Google Docs provides, I am very close to giving up on the excellent features, but persistent headaches of Microsoft Office. If it were this difficult to get something done on Amazon, Amazon would be out of business in a heartbeat.

Best regards, hoping that somehow, I have missed something and this problem is my error and not a Microsoft problem. Thanks, Palcouk, for your tireless efforts to help people on this forum. And, in the past, you have pointed me in the right direction. Your voluminous responses to forum members is admirable.

Bill Phillips

Durham, NC

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Its slightly complicated in responding to the MS Account  points as I have obtained Office 365 from a none MS source and my Account is with that supplier

In that account the various installs to other devices are all shown by device name (Network name)

The link I posted to Help/Account gives my MS Account details and shows the various win10 installs on various devices, but no the office installs

Contributor since 2006

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 10, 2022 Views 2,142 Applies to: