AMD display driver 15.200.108.1 "stops responding" when using Skype for Desktop 7.4.0.102 in Windows 10 build 10074

I have previously reported this as a potential Logitech Webcam C270 issue, but it is now clear that it is actually a conflict between Skype for Desktop 7.4.0.102 and the AMD display driver 15.200.108.1, when running Windows 10 build 10074.  (I have an AMD Radeon HD 7750 graphics card).

If I start Skype for Windows Desktop and do "Tools->Options->Video Settings" , I get a popup message about the AMD display driver failing to respond. In the System event log I see the message "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered". Skype never manages to  display the webcam preview.

From the Skype forum there are numerous reports of various versions of Skype crashing the AMD display driver on both Windows 8 and 7.

Answer
Answer

Hello Mike,

Thank you for keeping us updated on the status of the issue and apology for the delayed response.

Try to convert the Microsoft account to a Local account and switch back to Microsoft account and check if it helps.

To do so, follow the steps given below:

Step 1:

Convert the Microsoft account to a Local account:

a. Sign in to your Microsoft account on Windows 10 Insider Preview. 

b. Click Start and then PC settings.

c. Click Users and accounts and under Your Profile click Disconnect on the right of the screen.

d. Enter your Microsoft account's password, and click on Next.

e. Type in a Username, Password, and Password Hint that you want set for your Local account and click Next

f. Click on Sign out and Finish button.

Step 2:

Switch back Local account to Microsoft account:

a. On the newly converted Local account, click Start and then PC Settings.

b. Click Users and accounts and under Your Profile click Connect to a Microsoft account

c. Enter the Microsoft account ID and Password and click Next.

d. Choose if you want OneDrive as your default file saving location, click Next

e. Click Switch.

Hope this information helps.

Do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 740 Applies to: