Hotmail will not sync in Windows Live Mail

Windows Live Mail was working fine and then all of a sudden it stopped syncing emails from Hotmail. It has continued to correctly sync (send and receive mail) for my other accounts. When I try to sync my hotmail account I get the following error message:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Hotmail (alexsmookler) account.

Server Error: 0x800488EB
Server: 'https://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v2.0.0/Sync.aspx'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800488EB

I have tried deleting the account and re-adding it and then I get this message:

Windows Live Mail is synchronizing this account. Check back in a few minutes to read your messages.

I keep checking back but nothing changes. My emails do not come in and this message continues to be displayed.

I have also tried "repairing" Windows Live Mail via the control panel on my computer. This did not do anything to help the problem.

Please advise.

Thank you.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Try the FixIt button on this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2842520/en-us

After tearing my hair out on all the other advice that didn't work, this did.  I hope it works for you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It took a long while but someone found this for me

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/livemail-email/synchronization-error-0x800488eb/444b79cb-7512-47b7-8787-43c64e6e8fde

The insert below is the very last post on pg 26 from a long survey done on the answers.microsoft.com forum with respect to this issue...

¡Firedog replied on October 31, 2014

MVP Community Moderator Wiki Author MCC: Content Creator MCC: Content Curator Conversationalist Most Recommended Discussion
Friday 31 October 2014, 12:38 GMT

@Everyone
The error you're currently seeing, 0x800488EB, is a server error. It shows that there is a fault with establishing the secure channel through which traffic between the client Windows Live Mail and the server mail.services.live.com should pass. It most probably means that the SSL certificate used to identify the server is invalid for one reason or another. There is nothing you can do about it: the system administrators will have to renew or otherwise mend the certificate. Until they do, you should use webmail to access your account.

One workaround is to change the date on your computer clock, back to a date before the certificate was invalidated. 15 October should do. You should then be able to synchronize the account again, then change the date back to the current date. The workaround should remain in force until you sign out or close Windows Live Mail. After that, you'll have to screw the clock back again.

Some people at Microsoft are aware of the problem and may be working on a solution. This will happen at the earliest when Redmond wakes up on Friday, in a couple of hours' time from now.

Please ignore any hoops you may see it suggested that you jump through like reconfiguring, removing and re-adding the account, repairing the Windows (Live) Essentials installation, uninstalling and re-installing Windows Live Mail, re-installing Internet Explorer and all sorts of other fanciful remedies that won't help. Luckily, most of them won't hurt much.

Well done Microsoft, you don't have the decency to post any info about this causing users of your software to waste hours trying to fix it losing lots of settings etc. And you wonder why people are going off your software.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 26, 2022 Views 3,270 Applies to: