Phone call from 'Windows'? - is this a scam?

I got a phone call today from someone saying they were from Windows and that my PC has reported errors?They asked me to type in the 'run' menu to show the errors then they asked me to go to this site http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx .I had to hang up at this point to go out but does anyone know anything about this or had a phone call?
Answer
Answer

This is a phishing attemp!. Do not give out any information.

There have been reports from people about these calls from someone representing Windows (note: not Microsoft).

This is a scam! Do not follow their directions or advice and provide NO information to them.

Since they are using the internet and/or phone lines to accomplish their fraud, there may be federal agencies in your country that are interested in finding out about their calls. Report them directly to the appropriate agency if you feel that you can contribute in their arrest and prosecution.

Microsoft does NOT pick up the phone and start dialing customers and never phones/emails people asking them for personal information or requesting them to visit some web site! Please disregard any of these calls and hang up immediately.

Click on the following article for more information. 
Don't fall for phony phone tech support

On another note, if you are experiencing any problems with your computer please feel free to post a description of the situation and any error messages that you have received into these forums. We would be glad to help. (personal information not required nor requested!)

569 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 3, 2023 Views 131,502 Applies to: