Question about consistent errors in Event Viewer XP Home Edition

I ran a program called VEW that looks for up to twenty errors in XP Event Viewer.

Below is the data for the file scan:

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows XP in English
Report run at 28/01/2012 11:42:23 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'System' Log - error Type
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 28/01/2012 10:48:06 PM
Type: error Category: 0
Event: 10005 Source: DCOM
DCOM got error "%1058" attempting to start the service NMIndexingService with arguments "" in order to run the server: {E8933C4B-2C90-4A04-A677-E958D9509F1A}

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 28/01/2012 10:47:40 PM
Event: 7023 Source: Service Control Manager
The Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework service terminated with the following error:  A device attached to the system is not functioning. 

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 28/01/2012 10:35:31 PM
The Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework service terminated with the following error:  A device attached to the system is not functioning. 

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/01/2012 10:49:54 PM
DCOM got error "%1058" attempting to start the service NMIndexingService with arguments "" in order to run the server: {E8933C4B-2C90-4A04-A677-E958D9509F1A}

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/01/2012 10:37:21 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/01/2012 2:32:57 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/01/2012 3:38:23 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 25/01/2012 1:53:36 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 25/01/2012 1:32:34 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 24/01/2012 11:35:59 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 24/01/2012 11:21:10 PM
Event: 29 Source: W32Time
The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible.  No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time. 

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 24/01/2012 11:21:10 PM
Event: 17 Source: W32Time
Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'time.nist.gov,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 24/01/2012 11:18:36 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 24/01/2012 2:15:46 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 24/01/2012 12:58:29 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 24/01/2012 12:37:23 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 23/01/2012 11:26:32 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 23/01/2012 11:26:19 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 23/01/2012 11:02:41 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 23/01/2012 6:28:49 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 24/01/2012 11:35:59 PM

Parameters of scan was:

• System
  • Errors
  • 1-20 Errors, with set to twenty.

What are these errors and are they anything to be concerned about?

I have Nero 8 on this system and have a modified hosts file running here:  http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Not sure but I may have changed a network setting to enable the new hosts file to work properly.

Have seen these errors for quite some time; system runs well and smoothly.  No symptoms of malware or infection seen or found.  I would call these soft errors as they seem to not affect system operation.

XP Home Edition SP3 P4 2.8 2 GB RAM

Joe

Answer
Answer
Oh yeah :)

I have never used the VEW program and don't think I will be checking it out - I just look at the Event Viewer logs the old fashioned way (manually) if I think there is a problem, but that could just be the old fashioned me.

It is true that XP Home does not have Group Policy Editor, but all of the policy settings are still available via the registry.

Some malicious software will alter your GP settings and cause some problems. 

I have a little registry import that will fix all of the ones I know about, so if somebody has these certain symptoms, no matter what flavor of XP they are running, I will just send the script because sometimes you will not be able to fix the problem even if you do have the GP Editor. 

The registry import always works - and will work fine for XP Home or XP Pro.  If you have the symptoms and have XP Home, what would you do?!   Run the registry import.

If you are curious, out on my SkyDrive there is an Excel spreadsheet (Group Policy Settings) that has all the GP settings and where they are in the registry.  I am not recommending you start poking around, but it is handy to know where things are if there is a problem.

I would not enable the security logging stuff in XP unless you think you are under attack.  More and  verbose logging slows things down.  My Event Viewer Security log is empty.

Finding the Microsoft Support Engineer links mostly useless for actually solving a problem (did it help you with your issue), if somebody has an Event Viewer issue/question, I usually just send them this:

To see the Event Viewer logs, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc

Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

The most interesting logs are usually the Application and System logs.

Some logs such as Security and Internet Explorer may be completely empty or have only a few items.  The default settings for XP is not to log all that activity unless you need to troubleshoot some issue in those areas.  If you enable the logging for them the logs fill up quickly and could negatively effect your system performance with all the extra (usually unnecessary) activity.

If you have Microsoft Office installed, it has its own logs and they may be empty or occasional boring activity or very little activity if there is no problem with your Office applications.  This is normal.

Not every event is a problem, some are informational messages that things are working okay and some are warnings.

However, no event should defy reasonable explanation.

Each event is sorted by Date and Time.  Errors will have red Xs, Warnings will have yellow !s.
Information messages have white is.  Not every Error or Warning event means there is a serious issue.

Some are excusable at startup time when Windows is booting.  Try to find just the events at the date and time around your problem.

If you double click an event, it will open a Properties window with more information.  On the right are black up and down arrow buttons to scroll through the open events. The third button that looks like two pages on top of each other is used to copy the event details to your Windows clipboard.

When you find an interesting event that occurred around the time of your issue, click the third button under the up and down arrows to copy the details and then you can paste the details (right click, Paste or CTRL-V) the detail text back here for analysis.  Remove any personal information from your information after pasting if you are compelled to do so.

If you paste an Event, it will look something like this boring system startup event:

Event Type:    Information
Event Source:    Service Control Manager
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    7035
Date:        7/14/2010
Time:        5:54:18 PM
User:        Jose
Computer:    Computer

Description:
The Remote Access Connection Manager service was successfully sent a start control.

To get a fresh start on any Event Viewer log, you can choose to clear the log (backing up the log is offered), then reproduce your issue, then look at just the events around the time of your issue and troubleshoot the events that are happening when you have your issue.

You can look up events on the following World Wide Web site and get some ideas.  This is where folks have events they see and then post up their questions, ideas and solutions:

http://www.eventid.net/

If you find your event in the discussion, the first idea or discussion does not necessarily mean it is the "answer" for your situation, so read through all of the ideas to find the one that sounds most like your situation.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 750 Applies to: