printer spooler not running. Can't add printer.

My computer got a virus and has been fixed. However for some reason it got rid of my printing ability. I tried to add a printer, but a box comes up telling me the printer spooler service is not running. The disc for the printer I have only loads so far and then hangs up. How to I get my printing capability back?
Answer
Answer

How do you know the virus has been fixed?

Somehow I have the feeling you may need to do a couple other things, but start with the easy stuff first:

If you see a message like this:

Printers
Operation could not be completed.  The print spooler service is not running.

If you already have some printers installed, they are not showing up in the Printers and Faxes window.

Check and see if the Print Spooler Service is running and if it is not running, start it. 

To start the Print Spooler Service:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

services.msc

Scroll to the Print Spooler Service and if the Status column does not say "Started", right click the Print Spooler Service, choose Properties and set the Startup type field to Automatic.  Click the Start button to start the Print Spooler Service and verify the Status column now shows the Print Spooler Service is Started and the Startup Type says Automatic.

Reboot your system and check the status of the Print Spooler Service again to make sure the Print Spooler Service has started Automatically and that your changes "stick".

Do, or do not. There is no try.

I need YOUR votes and points for helpful replies and Propose as Answers. I am saving up for a pony!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Jim Ack,

In addition to JoseIbarra’sresponse, you may run the fixit tool from the below link and check if that helps you.

Printing problems and printing errors:
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/printing_problems/

Also refer to the below link:
You cannot add a printer and you receive printer spooler error messages in Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757

To keep your computer safe from virus in future, you may useMicrosoft Security Essentials which is free software from Microsoft which provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Regards,
Manasa P – Microsoft Support.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 3, 2022 Views 9,268 Applies to: