Config.sys file in Windows 7

I accidently deleted my config.sys file for windows 7. Is it possible to recover it? Any advise is appreciated^^
Answer
Answer
... I accidently deleted my config.sys file for windows 7 ...

Accidentally deleted it from where? Windows 7 uses a Config.nt file for configuration of its command prompt (e.g. cmd) console window. There is a Config.sys file used for the NTVDM (e.g. NT Virtual Dos Machine) but that is generally so hidden to the casual user you have to expend no small amount of effort just to find it.

In any event you can recreate either file with Notepad. Click Start or tap the Windows key and type notepad then hit <enter>. To recreate the default 10 byte Config.sys file paste this into the new Notepad document,
FILES=40
... then hit <enter> so the cursor is on a new line and Save As a new Config.sys file in the folder of your choice.

If you need to recreate a new 132 byte Config.nt file, start with Notepad again and paste this into the new text document,
dos=HIGH,UMB
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=250
buffers=50
REM device=%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\hpscan16.sys
... then hit <enter> so the cursor is on a new line and Save As a new Config.nt file in the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 (e.g. c:\Windows\System32) folder. Note that a Config.save is also in the System32 folder if you need another reference.

519 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 23, 2024 Views 17,694 Applies to: