"The previous system shutdown was unexpected" error

Whenever powering up my system after it hibernated from sleep, I get an error message at boot stating that the system wasn't shut down nicely.

System event log says that "The previous system shutdown at <time> on <date> was unexpected".

The last event logged before the system powers off (logged at <time> + 10 seconds) is "The system is entering sleep. Sleep Reason: Hibernate from Sleep".

This started happening after the last Windows update. I don't get this error when I force the system to hibernate manually. Filesystem scan reports all ok.

Ideas?

Hi Carlos,

Troubleshooting startup problems can be difficult because every PC is set up differently. Drivers, conflicts with other programs, malware, and memory can all cause startup problems. Startup repair can detect and fix problems that prevent your PC from starting.

Perform steps from the link mentioned below and see if it helps.

Windows hangs or freezes 

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is not a replacement for using an antivirus software program that provides ongoing protection.

Please take a backup of the data to an external disk as scanning may result in data loss.

Please reply if you have any questions.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

We do need the actual DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.  

WE NEED AT LEAST TWO DMP FILES TO SPOT TRENDS AND CONFIRM THE DIAGNOSIS.

You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.
If you are overclocking stop.  (chances are if you dont know if you are, you are not)
To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.  

The procedure:
* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the copy (compress them)
*Please upload them to a file sharing service like Skydrive or"Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.

Link for how to  upload below.

To ensure minidumps are enabled:
* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
* Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
* Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
* Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
* Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
* OK your way out.
* Reboot if changes have been made.

Please also run MSinfo32 and upload the output as well.
To run MSinfo32 please go to start>run>MSinfo32
Go to "file" "save" and upload the saved file with the DMPS

System specs are extremely useful so please include whatever you know.

Blue Screen View & Who Crashed are often wrong and should only be used in an emergency...

You can read more about BSODS here
You can learn how to test your memory here

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Whenever powering up my system after it hibernated from sleep, I get an error message at boot stating that the system wasn't shut down nicely.

System event log says that "The previous system shutdown at <time> on <date> was unexpected".

The last event logged before the system powers off (logged at <time> + 10 seconds) is "The system is entering sleep. Sleep Reason: Hibernate from Sleep".

This started happening after the last Windows update. I don't get this error when I force the system to hibernate manually. Filesystem scan reports all ok.

Ideas?
Than how to trouble shoot this issue. Please ex plane clearly 

Thanks,
Raghu. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a 2 month old thread and I doubt the thread starter is going to even see this.
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 27, 2023 Views 50,744 Applies to: