[Closed/Solved] Laptop has started to freeze lately with nearly no programs running

It has been only about 2-3 weeks since I got my laptop fixed from a failing hard drive and then suddenly about 2 days ago, my laptop started to freeze while I'm doing near nothing. I will be on YouTube on Google Chrome with maybe 3-4 tabs open and then suddenly sound from my YouTube video starts looping and then suddenly no more sound and everything is frozen. I can't move my mouse, nothing will work, just frozen. I am then immediately forced to press the power button and hold until my laptop turns off. This has happened while I have had a couple tabs open on Chrome while watching a video on VLC player. A couple days ago my laptop was able to handle this and now it can't take it.

I'm starting to feel scared because it hasn't been long since I got a new hard drive and things just aren't working anymore. I had set a system restore point on the 24th of September but when I tried using System Restore, the point had just disappeared. I tried Googling as to why it disappeared but Microsoft described it as a memory problem, which I still have plenty of. During the time from the 24th until now, all I had done was install a few Windows Updates, some programs for my laptop to run like how it used to (E.g Conexant audio, Realtek HD audio, Synaptics, etc.), and some tools to use for translating Visual Novels. I believe one of those tools had wanted to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148 and I have deleted those tools and now when I try to uninstall this file, it says "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable." I tried uninstalling it because there is another file by the name of Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17 on my uninstall or change programs list.

Some things I have tried are:
- Check disk (Nothing came up)
- Tried installing Memtest but after downloading the files, had no clue how to install it
- Installed HWMonitor (Temperature usually ranges from 48 to 78 degrees Celcius)

Things considered:
- Formatting disk and then copying files from backup back and start fresh again
- Reinstalling the tools and uninstalling again (Have not done because there were a lot and I don't remember the names of the programs)

Also my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C650 and here are some specs, I'm not sure of which ones to put here so I just got a little bit of it.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU   M 350 @2.27GHz 2.27 GHz
4.00GB (3.80 GB usable) RAM
64-bit Operating System     [Used to be 32-bit if that helps]

If anyone could please help, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time.
Answer
Answer

Hi,

This issue could occur due to third party application installed on the laptop.

Before we proceed further, let’s check if there are events under Event viewer that are leading to such issues on the laptop. Refer to the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/what-information-appears-in-event-logs-event-viewer

In the meantime, let’s follow the steps to try and fix the issue:

Step 1:

Check if you find the same issue in safe mode with networking. Refer to the link to boot the computer in safe mode with networking:

Start your computer in safe mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/start-computer-safe-mode#start-computer-safe-mode=windows-7  

Check if you still face the same issue. If not, proceed to step 2.

Step 2:

Let’s place the computer in a clean boot state and find out the application that is causing this issue.

Refer to the link to place the computer in a clean boot state:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

Refer to the section “Windows 7 and Windows Vista

You can refer to the section “How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot” to check for the application or program that is causing this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135          

Note: Please refer to the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Please get back to us with the status of this issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 5, 2018 Views 1,399 Applies to: