Question

sound keeps muting

sheryltoo15 asked on

I was listening to a song on the tablet and then went back to the start page to do something else and all of a sudden I thought my song stopped playing but it hadn't. The sound muted itself.
Then I set up the tablet so I could view my facebook pictures on the tablet. As I was looking at them, I noticed it also showed some videos I uploaded to facebook so I wanted to see what they looked like on the tablet but there was no sound. I thought it was because they were from facebook but I checked the speaker and noticed the sound got muted again.

Why does this happen and is it suppose to happen?

135 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Jordana_S replied on

Hello all.

I’d like to update you on this issue regarding random muting of Surface.   After further investigation, it is recommended that you connect your Touch Cover and ensure any and all updates have been installed to Surface.  

My apologies for any confusion or troubles this has caused. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Kindest Regards.

To check for updates:

1. Open PC Settings, by swiping in from right edge (or, if using a mouse, point to upper-right corner of screen)
  2. Tap or click Settings
  3. Tap or click Change PC settings
  4. Under PC settings, tap or click Windows Update
  5. Tap or click Check for Updates
6 people found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Steven_B replied on

Greetings everyone,

Regarding the issue of having the sound mute randomly, and in TH IT's case, unmute, please get in touch with the Surface Technical Support to exchange the Touch / Type Cover. We're still investigating the issue, however it appears that the cover may be the issue.

You can do the exchange yourself here: http://myservice.surface.com or by contacting our Technical support team here: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/support/contact-us/.

Please let us know if the exchanged Touch Cover / Type Cover resolves the issue for you.
Thank you for posting,

Steven B
12 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Dewain Robinson replied on
I have noticed that my Surface RT 64 GB randomly just decides to mute itself.  Is this a known issue?  I can hit the volume rocker and it unmutes the device, but it is a little frustrating when you are watching something and it just decides that it is time to mute.
10 people found this helpful

Abuse history

LonOrenstein replied on

Yep, same here.  I haven't figured out an answer so if a Microsoft support person could weigh in on this, it would be appreciated.  My sounds just mutes itself and I can't figure out any pattern and can't reproduce it -- it just seems random.

I noticed it after pairing a Bluetooth BlueAnt device but it could have been happening previouusly.  Did you do that?

Thanks,

Lon

1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

Wyn6 replied on

This may sound like a silly question or two but... Are you holding the device with both hands? If so, are you accidentally depressing the volume key?

Believe me when I say this can happen. The volume rocker is located about a third of the way down from the top of the device as opposed to the top corner and can be depressed in normal use while holding the tablet.

I'm not saying this is the case as there may simply be an issue with the device. I'm just saying to be aware of this because it has happened.

Abuse history

sheryltoo15 replied on

I'm pretty sure I wasn't touching the volume because my hands would have been on the attached keyboard, plus the volume control only lowers and raises the volume. My problem is the sound actually gets muted so I have to go to the speaker icon and unumte it.
Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

Wyn6 replied on

Ah. Got ya. It will be interesting to see how many others have this issue and under what conditions. Guess we'll keep this one queued up and see what comes about over the next month or so.
Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

LonOrenstein replied on

Nor I...  I have been keeping the Surface propped up on the kickstand and have never touched the volume rocker.  It seems to be a bug...

Lon

Abuse history

sheryltoo15 replied on

It happened again today while I was looking at a photo in my photo album. When I swiped the photo tab down I noticed something that looked like a volume control popped up on the upper left hand corner of my screen.
It was just there for a few seconds and apparently took control of my speakers and muted the sound.

In thinking back, I realized I noticed this same volume control at other times but never thought too much about it since it pops up so quickly and disappears before you really have much time to think about it. So maybe the key is to figure out why that pops up on the screen.

2 people found this helpful

Abuse history

CTreast replied on
Glad I found this thread. I've had the problem happen about 10 times and it's all on different occasions. At first I thought it was that I was pushing the button but it's not a slow decrease in volume but rather a full mute. My current theory is that it might be the keyboard somehow detecting pressure near the mute shortcut but I'm not sure that I really  believe that. I think it could just be a bug. I'll bookmark the page and keep checking in. Thanks for the support.

Update: I was actually using the tablet muted at work and it un-muted itself so it seems to be going both ways. I was mid gesture in the top left corner near the start button when it happened. 

Abuse history

BenApple replied on

I see this also and I have the perception that it's to do with the touch keyboard.  When I use the touch pad it looks like it occasionally mutes the sound.

4 people found this helpful

Abuse history

JHoff80 replied on

Mine does the same, but only with the touch cover connected.

Abuse history