Repeated secure connection failure message?

I am finding that more and more often when attempting to access my Outlook mail, the following message comes up:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to snt145.mail.live.com. You have received an invalid certificate. Please contact the server administrator or email correspondent and give them the following information: Your certificate contains the same serial number as another certificate issued by the certificate authority. Please get a new certificate containing a unique serial number. (Error code: sec_error_reused_issuer_and_serial)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site.

Repeated refreshes will eventually let me access a login page, but is there a way to get the certificate information updated so this error stops happening? I have been through this with the Outlook mail support people, who's advice has not proven useful thus far.

Hi Shad2007,

Let me help you rectify your concern about getting an error when accessing your account.

I would like to verify if you got the same error when signing into your account at https://mail.live.com or https://outlook.com. There is a possibility that a firewall, antivirus software, or other Internet filtering software contributes to the issue. I suggest that you try to disable it, in the meantime, to verify it. I suggest that you add Microsoft sites to your Trusted sites. Here are the steps to do so if you are using Internet Explorer as your browser: 

1. Start Internet Explorer.

2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

3. On the General tab, click Delete Cookies.

4. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click OK.

5. Click Delete Files, select the Delete all offline content check box, and then click OK. It may take several minutes to delete these files if there are lots of files.

6. On the Advanced tab, click Restore Defaults.

7. On the Security tab, click the Internet icon, click Default Level, and then click Apply. Repeat this step for the Restricted and Trusted Sites icons.

8. Click the Trusted Sites icon, click Sites, and then click to clear the Require server verification check box.

9. Under Add this Web site to the zone, type *.hotmail.com, and then click Add. Repeat this step for *.passport.com, *.msn.com, *.live.com, and then click OK.

10. On the Privacy tab, click Sites.

Meanwhile, please visit the link provided below for more information on how to secure your account:

Help protect your account

If you'll need further assistance regarding the privacy and security of your account, I suggest that this be addressed through a secured environment since the nature of your concern may contain personal or sensitive information of your account that can't be discussed in the forum. Please fill out this form to be directed to our Microsoft account support team. Take note that you need to sign into a Microsoft account to access it.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the quick response.  I do not use Internet Explorer.  The same error message occurs whether I am using Chrome or Firefox and the same error message occurs whether I am trying to log in through hotmail.com or outlook.com.

I double checked to make sure there was no firewall, antivirus, etc running and was able to duplicate the error on both browsers.   I tend to think it is not a firewall or other program filter issue because even when the message appears, refreshing the page several times will often push through to the log-in page.  If it was a filter or firewall or something, it would keep the page blocked at the server connection failure message and not eventually let me in.

I will try adding the various outlook domains you listed to my safe lists and see if that makes a difference.

Thank you again.  =)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for clarifying the issue. Adding the aforementioned Microsoft domains to your safe list won't help, as the problem is not about receiving e-mails. Since you've mentioned that you're not using Internet Explorer but Chrome and Firefox, I suggest that you contact the support teams for the said browsers for assistance.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Thank you and have a great day!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 18, 2024 Views 8,906 Applies to: