Microsoft Says Someone Changed My Profile Information

I just received the following email (I have asterisked-out my email address):

From: Microsoft account team (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***)
Sent: Sun 3/09/14 4:45 AM
To: ****@hotmail.com

Microsoft account

Your profile info changed

Profile info such as your name, birth date, or country/region was changed on the Microsoft account ****@hotmail.com.

If this was you, then you can safely ignore this email.

If this wasn't you, a malicious user has your password. Please review your recent activity and we'll help you take corrective action.

Review recent activity

To opt out or change where you receive security notifications, click here.

Thanks,

The Microsoft account team

Is this a legit email? from Microsoft or Phishing?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I received the same email too.

Recent activity describe access from following IP address.

Is this access from Microsoft ?
Why access If correct.

IP address

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Same here, I noticed that it happens sometimes just after I check the email. Happens in both, desktop and phone so I doubt is any virus at all and the IP always point to Microsoft Hotmail.

The emails seems legit but I am not sure wether this is some kind of "bug" or what?

I would like to get some more info about this please. Someone from Microsoft should come here and bring a bit of light. This didnt happend before but lately is happening a lot even in others hotmail accounts. Isnt happening on my outlook and live accounts tho (not sure if this have something to do).

One of the IPs shown is this one "Removed PII".

Is a trusted IP and this notice is just for some maintenance or something similar by Hotmail team or is really a dangerous IP?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

im also wondering. and i was hacked recently, so im wondering even more....

i wish someone official would respond

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok guys, seems that wont get any official reply so we should start searching the cause by ourself.

I highly doubt that we are hacked to be honest and those IPs always points to Microsoft Live servers. Also, even receiving these emails, we can see that (at least in my case) no info is really being changed on my profile.

But I do found few things that I would like to share so we can find a common factor that may produce this.

First of all, I use Google Chrome and I also access to my email accounts from my Android phone using the Dolphin browser and not the Outlook app. Someone have something in common with this?

I also use a Chrome extension called "X-notifier" which basically checks the email in time that you setup. It works with multiple accounts so is quite handy. Why I mention this? Well, sometimes when I just open Chrome or after I do a manual check of these emails, I can see how just few seconds after it I get one of those emails from Microsoft about profile changes. Coincidence? I am sure that isnt coincidence. This could be as the way of the scripts accesing the email accounts or (in the worst case) that addon is really some kind of malware which I hope isnt as I always though that Chrome extensions have some quality checkbefore being published just like Firefox ones.

So guys, come again to this thread and lets share some info to see from where this can come.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Removed PII is, indeed, a Microsoft address so the change isn't from some foreign country hacker.

If I received this, I'd log in, verify the information that purportedly changed, and make sure I strengthened the security of my account.

It is unlikely someone "official" will respond in these forums.  They're peer-to-peer (users helping users).

Brian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

cool. thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i use chrome right now. i have used the other things but in the distant past. i currently have a windows phone. it uses the same blu thing.

i already vberified to my satisfaction that this is microsoft. id go into it more but im still mopping up the extensive mess made by hackers. part of that, for me, is simply checking out ever single thing i dont recognize.

thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

X-Notifier is -not- malware, in my opinion... it's used by hundreds of thousands on Firefox, Thunderbird, Sea Monkey and Chrome, Opera, Safari.  Question is... is someone spoofing those messages. Beware of any links contained in messages claiming something's changed.... like 'Review recent activity' or 'click here' ...just to be careful. Open your browser and go to Microsoft's hotmail.com/outlook.com/live.com to check your email settings.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i dont know why but i tried to change my phone info and outlook.com made me run in circle since yesterday  e.e.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, isnt that. The emails comes from Microsoft and appears as trusted emails and if you dont want to click on them you can just go to your settings and review the activity there. The thing is that there not profile change at all. The info and everything remains untouch but these emails still comming. I added more security and changed password and I also disabled x-notifier. I know that x-notifier isnt malware but the way of access to Outlook can trigger these emails as something may changed on Outlook side that makes that to happens (who knows). I will leave x-notifier off for a week to see and then enable again but only for one email account. Lets see what happens.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 10, 2023 Views 133 Applies to: