Word 2000 suddenly saving documents as PDF

I am having trouble saving documents in Word 2000. It is suddenly automatically saving all documents as a PDF. Then when I go to open the PDF, I get an open error message & the file can't be displayed. I am saving the documents as Word files. Don't know why this is suddenly happening. I have not changed any settings. Can anyone please help me?

Given that Word 2000 has no ability to save as PDF, your assertion seems somewhat improbable.

If you are saving them as Word files, that's what they remain and it would help if you configured Windows Explorer to display file name extensions of known file types.

The most likely explanation is that the file association with Word 2000 has become broken, perhaps because you also have a trial version of Office 2013 present and during a recent update this has taken control of the Word related parts of the registry.

You can repair Word 2000 to restore the file association, or associate the files manually from Windows Explorer (Right click > Open with ... and select Word 2000. Always open with this application.)

If you have such a trial and you are not using it, then uninstall it as the problem is likely to recur.

Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regarding my assertion, yes, I know, it seems crazy. I assure you I am opening Microsoft Word, creating a document, saving to my desktop as a Word document, then bam!, it appears on desktop as a PDF. It's like voodoo & I thought I was going to lose my mind.

The only trial I downloaded was Photoshop & Illustrator. Could these be the culprits?

Your solution through Windows Explorer did work. Whew! Thank you so much for that. Hoping I don't have to do this every time in the future.

Thanks,

Trish

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows indicates what the file is by reference to the file association in the registry, so while Windows reports it as PDF, it remains a document, which is why the re-association will correct the problem.

As for the trial, you report that you are running Windows 8.1, which suggests a new PC. Most new PCs come with trials for Office 2013 - and it would be that trial that is responsible for the changes following an Office update. Major updates are issued monthly, and tend to assume that the most recent Word version should be the default, so while that trial remains in place the problem is likely to recur.

If there isn't such a trial then it is possible that the required registry setting has been lost or corrupted. It can happen, and can certainly happen if you use Registry 'cleaning' utilities.

Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you own Acrobat or another PDF authoring application? If so, make sure that "Adobe PDF" is not selected as the default printer. If not, is the file extension on the Word files you create .doc or .pdf? If it is .doc, but the documents are trying to open in Adobe Reader, then it is likely that Graham's surmise about a damaged file association is correct.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 14, 2022 Views 505 Applies to: