How do I remove/change the Miriam Webster's dictionary that I poorly choose, to the Encarta or a better dictionary,

I'm a new Windows 8/now 8.1 User. I'm also of course, new to the brand new Office program. Much to my surprise while working on a WORD document, I went to use the dictionary, and there wasn't one like there used to be.  I found out that I had to download one along with doing a lot of things in a short span of time that I'm not really sure what I did to get the Miriam Webster's Dictionary in word. Fast Forward...the online Miriam Webster's dictionary is lacking in my need. 

Does ANYONE know how to remove the current dictionary from word and replace it with Encarta?

Heh, well you can see how the money changes between these two companies - ask to take Miriam Webster's out of Word - oh, if my PC had speakers - I would probably hear **** crickets?

-

No no no - we cannot tell customers how to remove a crappy **** products?

That would be asking for too much.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Have you tried uninstalling it from the Windows Control Panel? And note that if you actually bought a "Miriam Webster" dictionary, then I can understand why it might be a dog. The official "Webster's" dictionary is produced by Merriam-Webster, Inc., formerly the G. & C. Merriam Co., which bought the rights to the dictionary from Noah Webster's heirs.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In Word 2013, the Merriam-Webster dictionary is one of the "Apps for Office" on the Insert tab. In Word 2016 the name of the feature has changed to "Office Add-ins" but it's the same thing in the same place.

To remove it, click the "My Apps" or "My Add-ins" button to open this panel:

Click the "Manage My Apps" or "Manage My Add-ins" link at the upper right as shown by the arrow. That opens your browser, where you'll be asked to log in to your Microsoft account. You'll be shown a list of the apps/add-ins that you've signed up for. Click the "Hide" link to the right of the Merriam-Webster dictionary. You may log out and close your browser. Back in Word, click the Refresh link at the top right of the apps/add-ins panel.

A longer description of this is at Refresh the Office Add-ins list.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 15, 2023 Views 838 Applies to: