editing the header differently for each page of a document

I have edited an existing document and need to amend the page numbers by editing the header on each page (so that it links correctly to the index).

However every time I edit the header on 1 page it automatically updates every other page, making my index meaningless! How do I override this so I

can edit the header on every page so something different is displayed ie the index page reference)?

I m hoping someone understands this rambling?!! Thank you, Kat

(moved from feedback by moderator)

Answer
Answer

It sounds as if you're just typing numbers into the header instead of inserting a PAGE field. How you do this will depend on your Word version:

Word 2003 and earlier: On the Header and Footer toolbar, click the button for Insert Page Number.

Word 2007 and later: On the Header & Footer Tools | Design tab, in the Header & Footer group, click Page Number, select Current Position, and click on Plain Page Number.

In any version, you can also insert a PAGE field by pressing Alt+Shift+P. When you insert the page number field, it updates automatically on each page. But Word applies numbers to pages regardless of what page number you have displayed in the header, and the numbering should be correct in your TOC and index. If you want to change the way the pages are numbered (for example, if you want to restart numbering after front matter), then you need to use the Format Page Number dialog to set the starting number in a given section (you must have a section break to restart numbering). Access this via the Format Page Number button on the Header and Footer toolbar in Word 2003 and earlier, or via Header & Footer | Page Number | Format Pages Numbers in Word 2007 and later.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 113 Applies to: