Customizing Word theme colours to be more than 10 colours

Hi

My brand has more than the 10 colors. Office doesn't allow you to add more that 10 to the theme colours in your template. I am setting the brand guidelines into microsoft office templates (word,ppt,excel) for internal use. Have been specifically asked to provide all colours. any suggestions/workaround? I use word 2011 on mac & there I can manage because when I go to 'More Colors', the dialog box has options. But this is not the case for other word versions in use in my workplace.

Help!

What "other version" of Office (not on Mac) are you using?

All of the PC versions I am aware of also have the "Standard Colors" you can predefine.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You can certainly access "More Colors" in Windows versions of Word, but a theme provides for definition of only 10 colors. I would venture to say that using more would be excessive. Are you saying that two Light and two Dark choices for Text/Background and six accent colors, plus colors for Hyperlink and Followed Hyperlink, do not provide enough options for your documents? What is your "brand"?
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ten is the limit of the colour theme. If the brand guidelines extend beyond that number, can you determine if any of the colours are tints of any others. You can see the GUI expands the basic set of 10 colours to provide lighter and darker tints.

One workaround might be to pre-populate the "Recently used" colours every time someone opens one of your documents. You would have to create a macro to do this.

Another workaround might be to divide your list of colours into two groups and have a second theme. For instance, one division of the company has a theme of 10 colours and another division has an alternative theme of 10 colours. You can only choose one theme per document but at least this gives access to multiple palettes of complementary colours.

Note that in Excel, the default chart types use the six Accent colours out of the active theme so the number of colours that go into default charts is only 6.

Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 1,353 Applies to: