Unable to use dictionary function in Word 2013.

Original Title <Office 365 Word>

I not liking your new office 365 program at all. I had a hard time installing it and now i can't use dictionary function without an Microsoft Account. Well brothers and sisters i do have an account. First I had issues with using Window 8.1 which such as bad as Office does, so your not the only shitty program that's installs on my new laptop HP Pavilion 17t Notebook PC that runs on w8.1. Please let me know how to use this dictionary function it is vital to my school!

Richard Charbono

<email address removed >

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Richard,

I apologies for the bad experience you had when trying to install Office 365 and also with Windows 8 Operating system.

I would like to know what exactly happens when you try to use ‘Dictionary’ or ‘Thesaurus’ in Word 2013.

Do you receive any error message?

Are you able to use this function on other Office applications?

Provide us the detailed information of the issue which will help us to analyze and assist you in better way.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Nayana,

This is the message i get when trying to use the dictionary on 365 word app: To use a dictionary, you must be signed in using your Microsoft Account.  In the toolbar on the right side of the screen is which account is singed in at the time and there is a little triangle and in it there's a "!" well i give up

my head about to explode all over my brand new laptop

okay so I signed into my Microsoft Account using Hotmail acct I get this:

Sorry there are NO dictionaries for this language English(US)

really no dictionaries.

I

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply.

You may refer to the thread link mentioned below which discusses the similar issue and check if that helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/sorry-there-are-no-dictionaries-available-for-this/042a88d6-4275-4a55-a5be-6c9d8ac91145

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

if i uninstall 365 office will I lose my trail period? I have to wait until next month to purchase a full program and i can't wait for than. I'm attending a online English class and i can't miss a day

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Nayana I solved my issues with Office 365! I got rid of it and reinstalled office 2010! 365 sucks so bad it's not worth the time to figure out what was wrong with it. I have 20+ years working on Office and never had so many issues like this. So ounce again thank for trying and my review of your hard work will reflect positively! You scored a 10/10.

Richard Charbono

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are/were you trying to use a dictionary app or the built-in spellchecker in Word? There is a significant difference...
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The built in app called "Define" is not working I get two different error message, 1. to use this function you'll need to sign in with a Microsoft Account. 2) the language doesn't exist. So this word app doesn't speak English.  The spell check works so far, but I'm over trying to deal with this worthless app! I went back to 0ffice 2010!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I miss the simplicity of having a dictionary already available in earlier versions of Word.

After opening Word 2013 I could see that I was successfully signed in. When I try to load my dictionary from the Office Store I receive ‘Cannot connect to catalog’.

In the upper right corner I would see a triangle filled with yellow highlight and an exclamation mark in the center of the triangle followed by:

“To use this function you’ll need to sign in with a Microsoft Account.”

I thought that was interesting because I'm already signed in with a Microsoft Account, and I'm signed into Word 2013.

Since I was signed in to Word 2013 already, I looked for a way to sign out and back in again but could not find one using office help.

When I clicked on ‘sign in’ I would get the same message that I should sign in again YET – there appeared to be no way to sign in again without the same failed situation.

I clicked on the down-arrow to the right of my username and then clicked on switch user. This signed me out of Word 2013. I then signed back into Word 2013 using the very same Microsoft Account username and password and Wham.

Now when I click on Insert > My Apps, I see my Merriam-Webster Dictionary app appear.

I clicked on the Merriam-Webster Dictionary Icon and the dictionary loaded into Word 2013.

All seems well now.

P.S. – Prior to loading my dictionary into Word 2013, I had to sign in to Office.Com/MyAccount, go to the Office Store and add the dictionary of choice from the Office Store to my account. This made my dictionary available as an app for loading into Word 2013.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

YEP same here! I found out why you have to use 2013 because it's only a year subscription! Another way to make us pay! It's BS and I'm stick and tried being ripped off by greedy corporations! I refuse to use it but I had 2010 Office installed but I've used up my key codes! So i went to buy another key code and that to is only good for a year! These people want everything and now they get it! WTF is wrong with this world!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is true that there is no longer a Research pane, which was available in some older versions. But note that you don't have to make use of "Define." You can manage with the built-in spellchecker and the thesaurus.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 13, 2021 Views 4,850 Applies to: