"Sorry, there are no dictionaries available for this language. Language: English (United States)"

My Word dictionary stopped functioning.  When I try to define a word, I receive the following: "Sorry, there are no dictionaries available for this language. Language: English (United States)". 
Answer
Answer

I've had the same problem and no where online is there an answer.

So I messed around and here's what worked for me.

I went to the Insert tab on the ribbon --> and clicked on Store (orange icon in Apps), it opened a store window and i searched for dictionary - downloaded merriam webster just for fun - download whatever you want.

I then went to the store via the windows interface and went to my Account and chose to switch user - then signed in with my info again. the first time it didn't do anything but give me the busy circle of dots spinning around, so I cancelled and tried again, it worked. Then I went back to word - to my account and did the same thing, switch account signed in. 

Typed a word, right-click - define - boom it pulled up the dictionary I installed (which didn't work before before it seems to be a sync connection error between the store and word. 

Let me know if this worked at all for you.

I don't yet know if it's a permanent solution, only time will tell.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 2,302 Applies to: